BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

font question...

ICEdevil
Newcomer
this is a rather silly question...and i don'y know if i am posting it in the right cattegory, but i found this one to be the most appropriate...

so, here goes:

what type of font do you use on your floor plans/sections, for dimensioning, labels, etc?

and...is there a way to set-up a default font ? ( rather than having to set-up each tool's font in particular )

all the best
dan
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR, Nvidia geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2
7 REPLIES 7
ICEdevil
Newcomer
come on.... 50 viewers, and not a single oppinion...

at least i try to give a reply to posts that i read...
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I think the answer is... The best font is whatever font you like the look of, to be honest.

It is such a personal choice how you want your drawings to appear. If you want to project a modern edgy image to clients go for a modern san serif styled font eg Century Gothic. If you want to have a more traditional style, a serif styled font looked better, like Times Roman etc. You could even go for a hand-drawn style if you want!

Personally we use Century Gothic in a variety of sizes depending on function.

Try printing out a list of all the fonts applied to a common sentence so you can see what looks best and what is the most clear to read at a variety of sizes.

And yes, you will have to set each tool to use the correct font at least once. You can then save them as favorites for easy recall if you like.

Happy now?
Stress Co_
Advisor
My Favorites.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

If you are sharing your files across different operating systems,
the lack of a particular font can cause problems.

Using "browser safe fonts" like Arial saves you from a lot of harm.

More info can be found here;
http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

Hope this helps.
ICEdevil
Newcomer
Peter wrote:
Well, I think the answer is... The best font is whatever font you like the look of, to be honest.

It is such a personal choice how you want your drawings to appear. If you want to project a modern edgy image to clients go for a modern san serif styled font eg Century Gothic. If you want to have a more traditional style, a serif styled font looked better, like Times Roman etc. You could even go for a hand-drawn style if you want!

Personally we use Century Gothic in a variety of sizes depending on function.

Try printing out a list of all the fonts applied to a common sentence so you can see what looks best and what is the most clear to read at a variety of sizes.

And yes, you will have to set each tool to use the correct font at least once. You can then save them as favorites for easy recall if you like.

Happy now?
ok...thanx for the reply...

and...settin each tool in particular...now that's a bummer...
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
ICEdevil wrote:
ok...thanx for the reply...

and...settin each tool in particular...now that's a bummer...
Setting the tool default fonts should take you all of 10 minutes. The best way would be to dial in the template file and all the projects you start from now on will have the desired settings. You'll never have to worry about it again.

For projects that are already started... perhaps you could define some favorites after you've adjusted your template. Unfortunately, you'll have to attack these one by one as you work on them.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Here's something semi-related...

I have a project that I am working on with another from my office. We are both on the same platform (XP).

I started the file and all the text was set to Maiandra GD or Century Gothic.
My co-worker opens the file and sees all just fine.
He saves the file and I open it back up to find ALL the text changed to ARIAL UNICODE!

I don't let him open the file anymore!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Learn and get certified!