BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

working with modules

Anonymous
Not applicable
maybe this question as been talked many times, but here is the question.
I'm working in a moderate size project. I've made 5 different archicad files, one for each building and another for the terrain. Plus another file where everything is together by archicad modules. the different building (3 stories each) have slight different heights. And the plans aren't displaying as clean as i want, some walls of other stories are appearing in some buildings. Some my question is. In this type of project which is the best way doing things.

Thanks for any help you can deliver.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to define one wall cut height in the "Main" file to suit to all the buildings stories.
Another important aspect, is wall configuration... I mean if it will show in its "born" story or all stories.
So you have to define it in the "Main" pln file... Don't forget that all project configs you do in a module file (like wall cut height or even story height) are overwritten by the "Main" file.
Hope it helps.
Karl Ottenstein
uziproductions wrote:
the plans aren't displaying as clean as i want, some walls of other stories are appearing in some buildings. Some my question is. In this type of project which is the best way doing things.
Generally, one generates plans for each building from the original pln file for the building, not from the master site plan file that has them all hotlinked in. But, that might be more of a US thing?

As far as control over the display, each file that is hotlinked should (really, 'must') have exactly the same attributes as each other as well as the master file so that all elements will display the same way and layer control will work identically across all buildings. Each hotlinked module should have a separate 'master layer' assigned in the master file so that the visibility of the entire module can be switched off where needed as well.

Beyond that, the cutplane issue raised by Braza is the answer...response on that next...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Braza wrote:
You have to define one wall cut height in the "Main" file to suit to all the buildings stories.
No, this is not true. If the individual buildings are close in relative floor heights (as placed in the master file) to one another, then a single cut plane may work.

If the buildings step down a hillside, then a single cutplane will not produce the desired result. Then, you must use multiple views, each with its own cutplane, and 'stack' these views together on the layoutsheet (cropping each view appropriately) to obtain the desired graphic result.

HTH,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right Karl. This "down-hill" situation can't be held with a single cutplane...
Only close floor heights can be held with single cutplane.
But I think your approach to multiple modules floor heights should be used to all cases.
In the end you get no surprises...
Karl Ottenstein
Braza wrote:
In the end you get no surprises...
I like that - perhaps a new slogan for GS: "The Virtual Building: Avoid Surprises". 😉

Cheers,
Karl
You can always select all walls in your bldg plns and make them display 'symbolic', and keep that as the default.

Projected etc. is great when you need it and a pain (and wasted processing time, I think, too) when you don't.
Karl Ottenstein
Ignacio wrote:
You can always select all walls in your bldg plns and make them display 'symbolic', and keep that as the default.

Projected etc. is great when you need it and a pain (and wasted processing time, I think, too) when you don't.
Agree about the pain - but 'symbolic' is not an option for complex profile walls, for example...

Cheers,
Karl
Learn and get certified!