BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Ceiling Plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone advise me if it is possible to generate ceiling plans automatically in other words horizontal sections looking up ?
Love to know.
Rgds
Rob Warren
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC version? (add to your signature in Profile)

You can use a slab representing your ceiling with the appropriate cover fill for tiles, with cover fill orientation set to Linked to Fill Origin. Set your snap spacing to place lights based on your fill origin handle. Set appropriate Model View Options and layer combination. Job done.

Or do you mean more automatic than that?

Apparently the new Curtain Wall tool in AC12 can be used for this sort of thing too. It looks quite flexible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the ArchiCAD plan view window you still need to work more with the notion of the transparent rather than reflected ceiling plan. That is to say, you are still looking down but you can adjust the layers and view options to get the look of a proper ceiling plan. The biggest issues are with openings (doors & windows) and with beams.

The newer doors and windows should have a setting to respond to the ceiling plan view option (but may not do it in the way you want). I often just set the door/window pen (pen #3 usually) to 40% gray in the drawing's pen set. There are more tricks and subtleties to this but I can't get into them right now.

The beams I find more of a problem since I often like them to show as dashed overhead in the floor plan but obviously want them solid in the ceiling plan. I still haven't figured out a really good way to deal with this.

One new possibility in AC12 that I haven't tried yet (not doing much 2D lately) would be to take a bottom up 3D section with the new 3D Document tool and annotate that as a ceiling plan.
Rob,
You might find some good information in this thread: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13172
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Both.
My particular problem is that I have a barrel vault roof with a glass block infill. All beatifully modelled but a colleague wants a ceiling plan and I didn't want to draw it manually. Because of its nature its different when viewed from below than from above.
I can portray it by marqui-ing it and putting into 3d/parallel projection/view from below but then if you want it in line then you have to go to internal engine and hidden line but then I can't copy it.
I'm thinking that I may then have to save out of this as 2dl.
Since its modelled I suppose I could also invert and look down.
Further query though I believe it is possible to fix 3d cutting planes but I can't find the details.
Any advise ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
I can portray it by marqui-ing it and putting into 3d/parallel projection/view from below but then if you want it in line then you have to go to internal engine and hidden line but then I can't copy it.
You can copy/paste the 3D hidden line view. Just use the marquee tool in 2D mode.
I'm thinking that I may then have to save out of this as 2dl.
This has no advantage over copy/paste since you have to explode the drawing anyway (it's not possible to mirror drawings).
Since its modelled I suppose I could also invert and look down.
This sounds like way too much trouble.
Further query though I believe it is possible to fix 3d cutting planes but I can't find the details.
Any advise ?
You can type in exact values for the 3d cutting planes. This makes it easy for horizontal cuts such as you need, even in the antiquated cutting planes dialog.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Rob wrote:
I am curious as to why you can't copy it. I have done quite often but not from the bottom looking up. I just tried it and no problem. You remembered that you have to select the single 2D marquee first right?
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Both,
You're right, that works for me too from below also.
Now I can make progress.
Appreciate everyone's help.
Rgds
Rob
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't understand what you guys are complaining about since AC 10 (at least - I was not using 9 - kind of skipped that version) RCP are simple to do. Just keep in mind you never look up. You look down but from above the ceiling. With that in mind go to Model View Options window, Set Door and Window options to Hide on Plan, Wall Cut Fills to Contours only and Slab Cover Fills to As in Settings. Done deal. Better yet save that MVOC and assign to any view (with proper Layers Set of course) that is suppose to be an RCP. Done deal.You can even create colored Ceiling plans where different color means different height.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
I don't understand what you guys are complaining about since AC 10 (at least - I was not using 9 - kind of skipped that version) RCP are simple to do. Just keep in mind you never look up. You look down but from above the ceiling...
Rob is working on a barrel vaulted ceiling so I assumed it was a condition that would look quite different from above and inappropriate for a ceiling plan (transparent or reflected).

I know all the tricks for getting acceptable ceiling plans out of ArchiCAD but I would still like to have a proper viewpoint for this rather than having to do all these workarounds in the floor plan.
Learn and get certified!