BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can't change Floor Plan Cut Plane

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I cannot alter the Floor Plan Cut Plane setting. I have changed it to 3'-6", it accepts the setting, but after switching Views in the Organizer it resets to it's original setting 4'-0".

I have tried resetting it in Teammate and Team Leader modes, Saving immediately after changing it, and Send/Receiving immediately after changing it, all ineffectively.
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
The cut plane is View Specific, after changing it has to be updated in the View Map. If you then switch to another floor plan using Model View it will remember the cut plane from the last View you selected which causes some confusion.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
FPCP settings are saved with the view, so if you change setting from the Document > Floor Plan Cut Plane menu you have to hit the "get current windows settings" within your view settings to update it. Alternatively you can go to your view, hit the settings button in Navigator and change the FPCP there (instead of via the menu).

Hope this makes sense (as it took me three minutes to make it make sense to me, and Eduardo beat me to it)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, thanks guys. Yeah, like most of AC's settings, 'causes some confusion' is right. Even after your explanation, Eduardo, I couldn't figure it out without Stuart's detailed instructions. I've got it now.

Though I do think it should be a setting "globally" for the project, I did try to change the Views individually, but obviously with no luck. I now have a better understanding of the 'Document>' pull-down menu: as you explained for the FPCP, everything there is only "temporary" and must actually be "applied" in the settings elsewhere.

Thanks again,
Bob
Eduardo Rolon
No problem. Rethink the "Globally" wish, eventually it will make sense as to why it is View specific. You can set it globally by changing it from the menu (it will apply to new Views) and it will stay as long as you don't open a View with a different FCP setting.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I had thought about it before I wrote but didn't word it that way. I really meant that when trying to figure out how to change it in the first place I had assumed it was global.

The reason I had to change the FPCP was because a Complex Profile with CMU blocks "disappeared" on the ground floor because the top of a block is at 4'-0".

Obviously, depending on the coursing, etc., other factors, the issue could present itself on subsequent floors, necessitating the need to change the FPCP differently for each view (floor). As you say, makes more sense when you analyze it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now if they would just make a cut plane where it could be divided into different levels or broken in different heights. I would be giddy.

Residential needs that bad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
J.K.
I'd like to second that.
Like where we have half walls, split stories,(a big one),
or then, on the other side of the room, a two story wall.
Bier
And two cents on "get current window settings" that confused the hell out of
me the first year. Sounded like you needed to go somewhere else to get something. What it should say is: Save these current settings.
Would have saved me a lot of brain tears.
Karl Ottenstein
Bier wrote:
And two cents on "get current window settings" that confused the hell out of
me the first year. Sounded like you needed to go somewhere else to get something. What it should say is: Save these current settings.
Well, maybe 'Get Settings of Active Window' might be more accurate. 'Save current settings' is a little ambiguous, as it might imply the settings seen in the dialog.

Newbies reading this... do note that 3D views in particular store LOTS of settings from LOTS of dialogs, and so cannot be updated simply by changing the drop-down entries in the view settings dialog. the 'get current settings' in that case reads the 3D window settings, photo rendering settings, etc etc As Bier says, not completely obvious. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Was it simply "Redfine view" in previous versions? Or am I thinking of something else? I can't remember.
Learn and get certified!