BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Adjusting the roof and wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see the attached screen capture.

http://screencast.com/t/hkhTvNhQqiJ

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Chris,

The video is nice, as before, but really high bandwidth for a very simple, beginner question. (You've got great 'voice over', though, dude - somebody should hire you for tutorials. 😉

So, the question is: "I adjusted my roof, and the wall(s) below do not connect with the new roof position."

You've used 'trim to roof' which is (in many ways) a deprecated feature of ArchiCAD. To correct your wall, you have to select the wall, then wall settings, undo the trim to roof, OK out, then re-do the trim to roof. It is static - and you'll have to do this every time you modify a roof.

Most of us now use Solid Element Operations and subtract (with upwards extrusion) using the wall(s) as operands and the roof(s) as operators. This is a dynamic operation. You can drag your roof around in 3D and see the wall(s) continuously adjusted to the new roof position.

Feel free to post more Jing videos, but personally I'd recommend text unless the issue is too complex for words. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean in the bandwidth issue. Is the video taking too long to load or something? I can't seem to make it any smaller, but I think I heard that Jing is going to work on that in the next update.
Karl Ottenstein
Chrisdell wrote:
thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean in the bandwidth issue. Is the video taking too long to load or something? I can't seem to make it any smaller, but I think I heard that Jing is going to work on that in the next update.
Consider the bandwidth of the one line text question - which any user around the world can read, even with dial up, vs a video. Even for me with high speed, the process took minutes vs seconds and I only gave you the answer because I was taking a break.

And consider the time it took for you to make the Jing video vs the one line question. Your choice - I'm just suggesting that in general you'll get a faster answer and/or more people will consider your question if you just ask it, as everyone else here does, and reserve multimedia for when an issue is genuinely complex. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
And bandwidth aside, who has the time to watch a video that one sentence can describe? Big disappointment.

Please use the effort you put into making the video to edit your thoughts into a simple sentence instead.

Tempus fujitsu.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll keep that all in mind but, if you could, understand that being as new as I am to AC, I don't always know what is a simple one line question and what is too in depth. Like this question, I thought for sure that it was too complicated for a sentence or two.

So that all in mind I have another question that I'll try to do with only text (watch, with my luck you'll ask for a video) My eves aren't correct, currently they're showing plumb but they should be square but when I change them the the roofs ridge changes too and doesn't look right. How can I change the eves but leave the other end as is?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this what you mean? If not post an image, easier than a video (you young'uns with yer fancy technology)

Select the roof, pick the edge you want to edit and from the pet palette that appears select the Roof Edge Angle option (top row, right), select the perpendicular option and DO NOT check the Apply On All Edges button.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wonderful, That fixed my eves nicely!

Thanks a million
Learn and get certified!