BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Shadows On/Off

Anonymous
Not applicable
PC Version 11, Build 1210 USA Full

Is there a way, particularly in 3D, to shut off the shadow generator while using the view to check the position of various elements? It seems to me that the shadow generator slows down my work speed because I am always waiting for the computer to calculate the shadows, when all I want to do is realign an element. In Revit, I have a menu in each view where I can select what settings I want on at the time for that view only. Where is it in Archicad?

Rhendrickson
SGAPC
Billings MT
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shadow settings are view dependent and it is generally best to turn them off in the 3D window and other working views and only enable them in the views intended for output. In fact it is generally best to use OpenGL in the 3D window which doesn't support shadows anyway. To change the settings go to View > 3D View Mode > 3D Window Settings. 3D views (typically created from cameras settings) are set individually according to the settings of the 3D window (and may be updated to current settings). Activating a view that uses shadows will change the 3D window (it is a global setting) so you will need to switch back afterward. This is not true when you just update the views on the layouts. There is more to this than I can write about now. HTH.

ArchiCAD does do it differently than Revit but in my experience it is easier and more flexible once you learn the tricks.
Learn and get certified!