Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCad forgets paper settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Each time I want to print my layouts (A3 landscape), ArchiCad uses A4 portrait instead, wasting tons of paper that way.

So each time we're going to print we have to manually readjust the paper settings. Is this a known bug?
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
sebulba wrote:
Each time I want to print my layouts (A3 landscape), ArchiCad uses A4 portrait instead, wasting tons of paper that way.

So each time we're going to print we have to manually readjust the paper settings. Is this a known bug?
I don't think so.
You will probably find it is your printer defaults set to A4.
Change those and all shoud be fine so long as you always want to print on A3.
Better still duplicate your printer and call it A3 and set the defaults correctly.
Now from Archicad (or any other application) you just have to choose to print to the correct printer.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, that might be a windows solution. On a Mac, it always kept the print settings individually for each publishing set.
__archiben
Booster
there is something odd about the way the publisher and the print dialogue is handled on a mac. the print dialogue box works independently to the saved print settings in the publisher: therefore when you open up the print dialogue from within an already established publishing set you get to see the default[/] print dialogue and NOT the saved print settings.

this is Bad and extremely frustrating. i'm guessing GS will claim it a 'system limitation' but that doesn't help any.

i'm sure there is also some bug in there that blitzes previous settings sometimes. i could swear blind that i set up publishing sets one way and find that they do something completely different when it comes time to use them. i just can't put my finger on what is going on.

on a related - and side - note. i notice that in leopard some apple applications are now (finally) able to handle the 'page setup' stuff directly out of the 'print' dialogue. i'm hoping that this is going to become the norm and will provide a far more efficient printing framework that other applications can use.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Stress Co_
Advisor
~/archiben wrote:
on a related - and side - note. i notice that in leopard some apple applications are now (finally) able to handle the 'page setup' stuff directly out of the 'print' dialogue. i'm hoping that this is going to become the norm and will provide a far more efficient printing framework that other applications can use.
INDEED. Baffling that Print and Page Setup are not combined for every application (I've only noticed it in Safari, Mail and iPhoto).
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
__archiben
Booster
Stress wrote:
(I've only noticed it in Safari, Mail and iPhoto).
and Preview & iCal . . . although i think iCal has had that kind of functionality in for quite some time.

~/b
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup