Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12 Custom Stair by selection.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The dialog is telling me to extend the range of the winders, which I'd would not only like to do, but need to do, to get min 6" tread on the inside turn for code, but can't figure out how to do that in this; "stair by selection" stair.
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks
Bier
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Holm
Booster
To extend the winder range, you just click in Stairmaker's plan figure on the step to which you want to extend the (black area) winder range.

However, in this case, I'd start by checking if the radial radio button would be enough to do the trick.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Thomas
Thanks for the reply.
However, feel kinda dumb because can't figure out why I don't have "black"
areas to adjust in dialog, which I have had before on other stairs.
This is my first custom stair created with design tools, but other Stairmaker
winder stairs do not have "black" area for editing either, like I have had before.
I must have turned something off?
I have been looking around but just can't figure it out.

Bier
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sorry Bier, you may have run into a bug. I get the black area in all ordinary stairs (created with Stairmaker's tools) and I also get one when I tried to create a similar stair to your one, but in this case the black area is misplaced (as I see it) and not anywhere near the winder range. And if I try to move it, it just blinks on me, and the stair gets weird if I edit. So I guess something is wrong.

On the other hand, the stair I created this way looks fairly right to me, and I even think it would pass your code, which we don't have over here.

And come to think of it, I've never really been lucky with editing custom-shape stairs before. When I've got them all right, I've most often had to edit the original shape a couple of times to hit the target.

Anyway I think you should report your finding as a bug through your reseller. Something stinks around here!

If you can't get the black area back ay other way, i guess re-installing is the only way out.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Bier,

I'd suggest looking at the Single Winder U-Return stair created through Stairmaker. You can then add the radii through the "Corner Setting" tool built into the main DBX after you create it. (Move the cursor near the corners, and it will change to a "corner" shape.) You'll get more flexibility with the winders.

I think the black highlighted tread editing command is not working properly, though.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Thomas and Richard
I'll be reading your suggestions very carefully.
Last year I made a double winder (standard)Stairmaker stair in (AC 11) for the addition I'm now finishing up building and remember having trouble with the black editable areas of the winders, to do exactly as I knew I could build them, but at least they were there and we did the final modification on site.
But now in AC12, as so often with me, since I don't use the program every day, I thought I must have forgotten (or just never knew) how to work yet another function of AC.
Nice to know I'm not crazy, well, not completely crazy anyway.
I'll now try your suggestions and see what happens.

UPDATE: New stair tested.
And although I did radius the inside center turn of the stock Stairmaker stair,(after I made this posted png), it did not change the floor plan model (right away), so the outdated post image is still correctly incorrect.
Now I think the stair tool has cheese stuck in it's gears.
I really don't want to reinstall, I just got 12 all set up!!!!!!!
Or so I thought.
Besides, As mentioned in other reply, maybe it's a bug??
A big fat bug that likes cheese??

I've just gotta say... I strongly DISlike the stupid "Stair ok" dialog.
May have to finally break down and buy an ad on. Booooooooooooo....
Hey wait...(hold the digital presses)....G.S. why don't you buy a stair tool that works???
Then you would not have to listen to all the complaints! Win-Win??
Now wouldn't that be sweet?
Sorry, but even before this problem I've been really frustrated with what I would think a program like this would have as tool for stairs.
Like a stair tool everyone raves about??
Wouldn't that be cool?
But Thanks for trying to help!!
Oh yeh, G.S. while your at it, can you please get rid of the diagonal
"story" break lines in the winder stair making preview, especially when I've picked a stair type that does not show this, or is there a way I've missed to get rid of it?
It makes it harder to see what is going on in critical area of winder dialog
adjusting area, which would be nice if editing area was larger.
The International Building Code (which all of California,(and most of the nation is going to)) is very strict about stair codes and we need more control. Must have more control. More Power Scotty,,,PLEASE?
Bier