Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Unwanted fill in cavity closer

Anonymous
Not applicable
2 related problems:

The first is that any library object I select comes with 'ceramic tile 150' fill. Is there a way to set this globally to an Empty Fill so I don't have to go in and change it manually every time.

The second: I've set up a composite wall with a cavity and have put it a traditional cavity closer on each jamb. The jambs come with 'ceramic tile 150 file' - and I can find no way to get rid of it, after having worked my way through every parameter in the dialogue box. Just to confuse things further, 1 jamb has a fill in pen 1, the other in pen 2!

Finally, how do I deal with the collision between one of the jambs and the adjacent wall junction?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fill problem is an ornery one. It arises because the library parts' cover fills are set to the default index number for "Empty Fill". Adding, deleting and moving fills around, or using a template or source file different from the GA defaults can jumble the index numbers. This is a very well known problem (particularly among CAD managers) and I believe that Graphisoft is working on it.

In the mean time you should be able to fix it with Attribute Manager (AM) by reassigning the index numbers in your project. Unfortunately this is not as straight forward as just editing the numbers since this isn't possible yet in AM

The easiest way to do it is:
1. Delete the ceramic tile fill (duplicate it first if you need it for other purposes).

2. Open the attributes (on the right side of AM) of a PLN that has the original default settings. If you don't have one you can easily make one with a "New and Reset" (in the File menu with option/alt pressed).

3. Select "Empty Fill" (index no. 85 as I recall) in the defaults and chose "Overwrite" to transfer it to your project.

There are other more elaborate ways to juggle attributes, but I don't recommend getting into that unless you really need to.

I can't 100% sure but I think this will also fix your second problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Matthew.

Deleting the ceramic tile fill did the trick, although I was somewhat confused because after loading a 'new and reset' file, I couldn't find an 'empty fill' in the selection set. I assume whatever fill moved in to the place previously occupied by 'ceramic' was appropriate.

Anyway it did also fix the second problem, and I created a patch for the remaining collision.

Thanks again,

KEITH