BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how do i undo my project after 7 saves?

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,
can anyone help me? i mistakenly deleted some part of my work in ArchiCAD, and had already saved like 7 to 8 times, before i realized i had deleted some of the work mistakenly. i need to undo to get that original work, what do i do? is there a way?
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
It is infuriating to delete in error. I sympathize.
Saving eradicates the undo queue.

It is possible that your backup .bpn file is not yet updated, altho after seven saves that is unlikely.

1: Close the .pln file without saving.

2: locate the backup .bpn file

3: Open it and see.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And i suppose that i should welcome you to the forum.

Please let us know how things worked out.

BTW: It is a good practice when working solo to do a "Save As" every hour or so as a sort of pre-archive and crystallized protecto-matic against these problems.

Because not all mistakes are "oops i deleted it by mistake." Bigger mistakes include entire design threads not being preserved while the design evolves.

And then you need to revert. Yikes!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

Shame on you for giving false hope. The BPN is just the last saved version. Save twice in succession and you have two identical files. The only hope would be if some other backup copy were made before the mistaken deletion.

The one upside is that it only takes about a quarter to a fifth of the time to do the rework than it took the first time around (as I recall from the days before autosave).
Karl Ottenstein
AFAIK, the bpn file is updated with each save, so it will only contain the previous version...certainly not 7 back.

Particularly when you are learning, using 'save as' at key points is wise, but can lead to a clutter of file names.

You do not give your machine or software specifications. If you are on a Mac and OS 10.5 Leopard, get an external disk drive ASAP and run Time Machine. It will automatically create hourly backups, but you can easily right click its icon to backup at any time. Then, there is no 'save as' or renaming business - you'll just have as many backups of the file as you want and can 'move back in time' to restore what you need.

If you're on Windows or an older Mac, some similar manual backup software will help if, when it creates an incremental backup (only the stuff that changed), it keeps previous files with the same name...so you can go back in time. (Not all backup software does this - a lot of it simply replaces the older files on the backup and gives you a clone of your backed up folders.)

Another option is to use TeamWork for all projects. (This is perhaps asking too much for a new user. Even as an experienced user, I do not use this approach.) Unlike Solo projects which have a single backup (bpn) file - a TeamWork project defaults to keeping 5 backups and can keep as many as you specify, in fact. Using TW in solo mode just means signing out the entire project exclusively as team leader. Stay signed out. Each time you send/receive, a new backup file is created.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
AFAIK, the bpn file is updated with each save, so it will only contain the previous version...certainly not 7 back.
Just to clarify the details for any who are interested...

The ArchiCAD save command starts by creating a scratch file of the current state of the open file. Once this is successfully completed the previously saved version is renamed as the BPN and the scratch file becomes the new PLN. This avoids any possibility of file corruption from a crash during the save operation and adds the benefit of keeping the previously saved version for a backup.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Dwight wrote:
It is infuriating to delete in error. I sympathize.
Saving eradicates the undo queue.
Did I read it here or on the GS site that the latest hotfix of AC12 does not clear the Undo queue?
I checked and it is true.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Did I read it here or on the GS site that the latest hotfix of AC12 does not clear the Undo queue?
I can confirm that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
adytc wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I can confirm that.
GREAT NEWS!
Learn and get certified!