BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Error while loading plan file!

Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Late yesterday afternoon, ArchiCAD crashed and suddenly exited, bringing up a Graphisoft Bug Report window. I transmitted the error to Graphisoft after I entered a brief description of what I was doing - simple 2D editing. Before I left the office last night, I opened my .pln file to retrieve the autosave data. It appeared to open correctly last night, but I'm guessing it's somehow related to today's problem.

Today when I opened my .pln file, I was greeted with an ArchiCAD warning dialog indicating:

Error while loading plan file!
Module: Source Reference Manager

In my layout book, many of the named views have been renamed with numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and all of the view geometry is missing from my layouts. When a view is selected on a layout, the view highlights (in green), but all of the view's geometry is missing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Jeff
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
I hope you saved the post-crash file without making any changes. Graphisoft tech support and the developers would really need to see those renamings/renumberings to track down what is going on...

Good luck,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl. I appreciate your reply. I contacted U.S. Graphisoft Tech Support and was instructed to attempt opening the .bpn file to see if it opened correctly. Unfortunately, it didn't. The tech person told me that "something bad must have happened during the crash" and my "best bet would be to retrieve a previous version of the file before the crash occurred". The most recent pre-crash version on my network is from 7AM yesterday morning. By reverting to this file, I lost all of the work that I did yesterday. Major bummer considering that my project is overdue for release.

Strangely, the tech support person didn't ask for the post-crash file. He did suggest that I make it a habit to save my work to more than one drive several times a day, just in case. Hopefully, yesterday's file doesn't have the same underlying problem that today's file had. I'd prefer to avoid going through this again.

Thanks again,
Jeff
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
Karl Ottenstein
jffgrffn wrote:
Strangely, the tech support person didn't ask for the post-crash file. He did suggest that I make it a habit to save my work to more than one drive several times a day, just in case. Hopefully, yesterday's file doesn't have the same underlying problem that today's file had. I'd prefer to avoid going through this again.
Sorry to hear about the lost work!

It sounds like you reached a less-experienced US tech support person. 😞 I hope that someone at HQ reads this thread, as what you experienced is quite serious and the file should have been sent to the developers by local support.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
I had this same error dialog box appear with what I assume is a corrupt file. The bad file is 2 MB, the good file 7.6 MB. Did you find the corrupt file smaller than the backup? Sorry I don't have more useful information.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Did you find the corrupt file smaller than the backup?

David
David,

I didn't notice a significant file size difference between the corrupt file or the backup file.

Corrupt File: 34.6 MB
Backup File: 35.3 MB

Thanks,
Jeff
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just happened to me right before plotting for a plan review meeting at the City. Terrible timing as I've lost two days of work and have to delay the meeting and have an unhappy client. Has anybody been able to resolve this one?

From what I remember when closing out of the file I saved it, then went to exit and AC asked me to save it again. So, both the .pln and .bpn are bad.

I'm (still) using AC12 on MAC 10.7. I opened the "corrupt" file and the most recent open-able file in Text Editor to compare the files and found a lot of different info in the header, and am wondering if I copy the old header and footer into the new corrupt file (copy) if that would work.

Any help would be appreciated!
Learn and get certified!