Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

How to show LED box in elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am a student designing a building for a project and would like some help. is it possible to create an illuminus effect on my external walls of my building in different colours. kind of like a light box, i want my building to change colour, in say at night time, and i want this effect to come across in the model.

if anyone can help i would be greatful.
and if anyone knows of any tutorals too

thanks

I am currently running archicad v11
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
Reading my book will give you insight into this problem, but it doesn't have a specific tutorial on the matter. I use LED lighting extensively in my real design practice, and wall washing is best achieved with the ColorBlaze product:

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/colorBlaze/

You can't do this in Archicad directly, but a row of light cone up light sources of a very large diameter - like 5m or so, perhaps contained in a housing to constrain the light to a line will stand in well. Tilt them slightly into the wall.

Don't place the lights realistically. In real life, the fixtures would be quite close to the bottom of the wall. Archicad's light should float out away somewhat to soften the effect.

Post your results.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Duh. Now that i re-read your posting, i am completely wrong. Again.

You want a glowing building. You can apply neon glowing effects using the rendering tool Artlantis, but Archicad and LightWorks can't do this.

However, my last posting describes how most people wanting a glowing building and that had a budget would do it - by shining colored light from the outside onto a white wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
refering to the glowing effect you mentioned in the programme artlantis, is this not anyway possible to do in archicad?
Dwight
Newcomer
Dwight wrote:

You want a glowing building. You can apply neon glowing effects using the rendering tool Artlantis, but Archicad and LightWorks can't do this.
Perhaps if you post an example, I could suggest an assembly of conventional elements that might simulate what you want, but if you look at typical glowing colored buildings, they aren't magical.
Dwight Atkinson
Rod Jurich
Contributor
KRAY345 wrote:
what forum should i go to?
Presentation - Rendering and Multimedia
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Dwight
Newcomer
So these diffuse panels are lit with linear light from top and bottom. The likely real-world source is this: http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/intelliwhite/

best bet : iWprofile g2 - I've used these before altho they are overpriced if you don't need their clarity and brilliance.

We can't really do linear light in Archicad, but we don't want to - we want to use narrow "light cone down" and "light cone up" light sources with wide bases to shine almost parallel light as in this example. You force the disk to merge into the wall, faking the linear look.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
heres an example
oeffentliches_gebaeude_sonderloesung_led_rgb_reference.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
And i discovered another way to control downlight to make a strip.

Since the light cone is originating from a large disc, it would shine downward out into the space - away from the wall face like we want.

To constrain this light, it would be obvious that a mask would be necessary, but it would be visible in the scene. In my solution, making the mask as a slab with invisible sides and bottom makes it invisible in the rendering - an invisible mask!

It also helps to tilt the light slightly toward the wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
All the topics are now merged into this one.

Thanks,

Your boring nagging moderator
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen