BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

SIP WALL PANEL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys newbie here, I'm trying to build a bungalow using SIP Panels as the wall construction, but can't find it in the wall selection. Any ideas on how this is done ?

cheers guys
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you explain SIP to those of us who don't speak Geordie? I might be as simple as creating a new composite or custom profile.

Also, what AC version and OS?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Create a new composite wall (Options>Element Attributes>Composites)assigning the desired fills and thickness. This will give you a detailed section cut as well as a detailed wall in plan view.
Anonymous
Not applicable
SIP is not geordie.....LOL, its Structural Insulation Panel its a well wall, as in brick, block ect....cheers guys
Anonymous
Not applicable
GOT IT CHEERS GUYS IT LOOKS GREAT.....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Structural Insulated Panels - Example: http://siptec.com/Overview.htm

Basically two skins of OSB (oriented strand board) with 125-200mm of expanded polyurethane foam in between, often edged with a timber plate to allow fixing.

We are just starting to use these for a tiny extension locally, as a test for possible larger projects.

I have been thinking about how best to model them for a while but haven't really 'got around' to doing anything yet! The problem is they come in set lengths and widths and it is obviously more economical if you don't have to cut them down to size.

In order to begin to model a building with them, you would need to set up some kind of grid for each elevation which would give you the spacing of the windows. This could be achieved by making a panel library part with the preset sizes built in, and also the different options for the each of the edges. It would have to be storey sensitive also to be any use on plan.

This would give you the option of producing a fabrication list for all the panels, giving their size and quantities etc.

I still haven't sorted out fully in my mind how far to take the detailing. It could be a very sophisticated and powerful library part if you want to go in that direction.

It may well be that the SIPs manufacturer will do all the panel size calculating and you don't have to worry about detailing it. In which case a simple composite showing two skins and an insulation infill would be suitable. How detailed are your drawings going to be? Are you going to be responsible for the layout of the panels?

The SIPs manufacturer supplied us with a dwf 3d model of the extension, modelled over the top of the 2d drawings we supplied, using some kind of Autodesk product. They had actually modelled the individual panels. (Screenshot attached). You can see the importance of correctly showing how the panels meet and their respective priorities, otherwise they wont fit!

I would also be interested in seeing what others have done when dealing with similar prefabricated panels.
SIPS_example1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
We do a panelized wall here as an option. We have set heights based on pre-cut studs for platform framed houses. So when we do a panel layout in plan view it is nothing more than layer control to show where the panel breaks are. When we get in to balloon framed walls and raked dormer or gable walls we actually do a 2d line drawing to spec out stud lengths.
I looked at the Cadimage Wall Framing tool long ago but got slammed and had issues with it where the base of a wall stepped. Could have been me, I'll check into it again as it shows promise. You may want to do the same.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Unless you just wanted to, I wouldn't worry about any detailing for SIP panels. I have my stock plans built with SIP all the time (I love them) and it just takes giving them a set of plans and they do everything that they need. Only the other day did someone say the SIP supplier wanted the CAD file (but I actually think it was the GC that requested them). I have never had anyone say they had a permitting problem with my standard stud framing and using SIP panels.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Learn and get certified!