BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

DASHED polyline not intersecting at corners

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are dashed linetypes when used as a polyline still not automatically connecting at 'corners'? Has it changed in archicad 12?

Thanks,
Michele
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon
Still the same
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you know you can get around this by using a chained line instead of a polyline? The individual lines that form the segments always start and finish with a whole dash. Use the magic wand to apply it to an existing polyline. Delete polyline after.

Even the tools in the pet pallette like offset edge, offset all edges and move node still work, provided you suspend groups temporarily.

Unfortunately, I feel we need both types of corner behaviour for both types of line depending on whether we are using a symbolic or a dashed line type. See the diagram below.

Ideally we need to be able to switch between the two behaviours whatever the tool as there isn't a simple workaround for other polygonal elements. I guess this would be best done by a simple 'continuous line spacing' checkbox option in the tools settings.

There is even inconsistency in how this is applied at the moment in AC11. Roofs, Slabs, Meshs and Polylines all join corners neatly, but Fills, Lines and Poly-walls do not. I'm not sure why?

This is why the problem occurs currently. Roll on AC13!
line_corner_joining.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
I assume you know you can get around this by using a chained line instead of a polyline? The individual lines that form the segments always start and finish with a whole dash. Use the magic wand to apply it to an existing polyline. Delete polyline after.
... or just explode the existing polyline (with Auto grouping ON of course).
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
... or just explode the existing polyline (with Auto grouping ON of course).
You could do it that way also!

(Real men don't take the easy route, by the way! )

Cheers Stuart!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
(Real men don't take the easy route, by the way! )
Lazy ones do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure explode lines but how about edges of slabs etc.. I don't want to send a message to Graphisoft that says OH don't worry about this because we can deal with it by exploding polylines. If we keep doing this then why don't they call it ArchiFudge. Make a polyline do what it can do in every other program... be a polyline.

DO the people who work on Archicad actually use the program becuase they have to be frustrated too.

I'm done with my rant,
thanks,
Michele
Learn and get certified!