Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Illustrator to ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm wondering what the best file is to export from Illustrator to ArchiCAD. When we have text and trying to import it, the holes in certain letters, like "e" and "o" and "g" are missing as fills. The text comes in has a spline, and the fill, by using the magic wand tool, won't recognize a boundary. And I'm trying to avoid having to draw the holes myself. We are trying to do this to make a 3D object for a sign, by using the complex profile, which only reads fills.

What is the best file and way to do this. Thanks.

Any help would be grateful.
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
fessel28 wrote:
I'm wondering what the best file is to export from Illustrator to ArchiCAD. When we have text and trying to import it, the holes in certain letters, like "e" and "o" and "g" are missing as fills. The text comes in has a spline, and the fill, by using the magic wand tool, won't recognize a boundary. And I'm trying to avoid having to draw the holes myself. We are trying to do this to make a 3D object for a sign, by using the complex profile, which only reads fills.

What is the best file and way to do this. Thanks.

Any help would be grateful.
I'm assuming the file your working with came from a client. If the font paths are there you may want to try them. The magic wand will fill a closed line shape, but you may have to unify your sp/lines if you have them. If not and you have Illustrator you might try:
1 Convert text to outline:type>creat outlines.
2. Switch path or stroke to solid and fill to slash or none.
3. Exporting to AutoCAD dwg format it should give you just the lines you need.
4. Merge into new file. You still may have to unify the line into closed shapes. Either way then magic wand line shapes with AC fills.
5. Still on "o's" etc. it would be a two step process filling the outside shape, selecting that fill and subtracting the inside shape by magic wanding with same fill.
6. Scale up or down to get to size needed and then copy & paste into
profile window.

Still waiting for the theory of everything and the file format of everything....

Dave

PS: Import dwgs are often auto group sometimes you need to supend or ungroup to get things to work right.