BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

save view use

Anonymous
Not applicable
After 10 years with AC I still have not concept of when and why to use the Save View process, except for 3D views. How to do this is not the problem I believe but the why, when, and how to use is something that I can not find explained throughly anyplace.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
This is a broad question, but the most typical reason would be to create and publish document sets. ArchicCAD's workflow is:

Create Viewpoint> Save as View> Place View as Drawing on Layout> Publish Layouts.

Since each view can have different settings (eg. layer combos, scale, etc) you can make different types of plans (eg. electrical plans, framing plans, structural plans, etc) as well as sections, elevations, details etc. These saved views are the link between the viewpoints in your model and the layouts.

Views don't have to go on layouts, you could just publish them as is, but this is their main purpose IME.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me ask you how you do use archicad if you're not using layers?

You have your first floor/Story.
On this first floor you need a drawing on a title block of a furniture plan, you need one of the framing plan, and you need one showing areas and square footages.

How are you getting these drawings from your project map to a title block and setting all the correct layers and scales to show up?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Like you, I wondered what the purpose of views was, until I attended a seminar where the use was demonstrated. I saw the light - and have never looked back.

But it can be an uphill task trying to persuade others in our practice to use views, if they have worked with previous versions of Archicad and the ghastly Plotmaker! There's a perception that, when editing a view, you're not editing the model - which of course is incorrect.

Have a look a the thread on text sizes and view scales, which is one good reason for working in a view where the scale is set to that of the eventual layout. By not using a view there's a big chance of getting it badly wrong!

Another benefit is that it's much easier for someone else working on your drawing to find the right source view for a layout (and hence the correct layer settings, model view options, pen set etc.). There's even a shortcut button to take you straight to the view from the layout.

Keith

Archicad ver 12 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
Chazz
Enthusiast
atelier wrote:
After 10 years with AC I still have not concept of when and why to use the Save View process
Wow. I'm curious how you get all the myriad required (let's say Plan) drawings out of a model? Things like, Floor plan, Reflected ceiling plan, Coded finish plan, Power and lighting plan, Furniture/space plan. How do you get all those things if you don't use views? Just with layers? Does it work well for you?

I'll make you a deal: you tell me how/why you do it without saved views and I'll tell you how/why I do it with saved views. I agree that the why question is not spelled out well in the reference guide.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
What helped me "get-it", (views that is), is to think of them as a staging area for your ideas. A place to put the "concept" of each idea,(floor plan, fnd plan, framing plan, roof plan and on and on.
I also think of it like staging area at my front door. Some variable time before I leave the house/office I start putting things there, and that pile grows until I'm ready to put things in my car,(layout) and then publish myself, (drive away).
Bier
Djordje
Ace
You can best describe views as the drawings that you will place on our sheets.

Did you work in the manual drafting days? You had a title block paper, and then you pasted on the plans, details, whatever. Those are the views.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!