Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Layers inside an Library Part

Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
I have created a table library part. In 2d it shows the text reference of the part number. In some layer combinations /cases I need that this number disappears. Is there a way to have layers inside an object part?
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
5 REPLIES 5
Frank Beister
Advisor
No. And you have no possibility to request a layer combination, just the single layer the object is placed on.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
No.

In these situations I normally put a view-variable that could have different values, for example 1 to 5. And when I need to change how my object should look, I use "Find and select" and change it manually. Not a good way but this is what I think is the best way to do it right now.

It would be nice with an option to have a layer-parameter in GDL where you could set alternative layers to different parts of the GDL script.
YOU COULD IN AUTOCAD
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like to be able to use a request to find out whether a particular layer is on/off and another with a parameter array to get a list of all available layers. That way you could use a parameter to select what layer certain elements within and object are on, and use the layer settings to turn those elements off
Unless it is an object which several different people will be using a lot, repeatedly over the years, and in different projects (in which case it would make sense to be able to store and select it in the library and perhaps make a favorite, and which would justify the investment in time spent in creating the perfect parametric object) a module with the dumb table object and whatever 2D and annotation details you need in whatever layers they need to be will give you the performance you are after and more, faster and with more control than anything else.

You can multiply, rotate, elevate it. You can also copy-paste ('Suspend Groups' unchecked) it within the same file or different files, so you may want to have a separate session of ArchiCAD open with a file showing all your furniture piece modules in a single plan view --you copy paste them from there using it as a module depository file, which works even faster than browsing for or finding an object in the object settings window. At any given time you can add or tweak 2D, 3D, annotations, without having to look at a line of GDL.
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
You can't use layers but you can use drawing scale and model view options to turn the text off.

Cheers
Stuart