BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 12 - Sneak Preview

Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw a movie about ArchiCAD 12 on YouTube. The comments say there is a hidden message. I think I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_6Dxkkjr80
46 REPLIES 46
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Y'all need to switch to decaf.

All I'm saying is I've been able to quickly crank out some pretty impressive renderings with AC 10 and 11 (with some help from Dwight's books, I might add). We've managed to impress the pants off of quite a few insignificant, unsophisticated clients (like Boeing, Honeywell, Banner Health, SCF Insurance, State of Arizona, City of Phoenix, to name a few). I think just as much effort should go into simplifying, consolidating, and automating the process as goes into improving the quality. Not more or less, but as much.

I have had little heartache about ArchiCAD's rendering, and I have never had a client disappointed in the presentations. I have, however, been chewed out for inaccuracies in the CD's, change orders in the field, or spending too much time or money to train and support the staff.

With rendering, you have SO MANY alternatives that you can export to and get better renderings; ArchiCAD will never be better than a dedicated state-of-the-art $10K animation package, or probably even 3DS. However, if I'm doing my CD's in ArchiCAD, then I am completely dependent on it for the model, plans, sections, details, schedules, and layouts. Therefore, that is where my priorities are. Everything else is gravy.

All, of course, is in my humble opinion.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Eduardo Rolon
I just got pummeled, With all due respect some clarification;

Bricklyne, I was answering Zuckos "And i think archicad users ARE interested in producing high quality renderigs…" comment. My answer was that I didn't choose AC for its rendering capabilities and I didn't generalize, I said "I".
___

I didn't said that Visualization is not important and if I IMPLIED it I am wrong. I wrote that AC's main purpose is NOT RENDERING, for me ( I am not generalizing) there is a difference.

IMO the answer to the question;
Which is the best rendering software?
Should not be AC.

But the answer to;
Which is the Best Architectural Software?
That should be AC.
__

Bricklyne, when did I wrote what is mentioned in your PS? You imply that I am a part of a group that I have never met. Though I agree with what you write, the tone makes me feel like it is a personal attack.
___
Hm...I'd be willing to bet that you are not the person who pays for your softwares and their updates!
Dennis, I am a one man shop and I PAY for ALL my SOFTWARE, I resent the implication. It is WAY OFF Base
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

ejrolon wrote:
__

Bricklyne, when did I wrote what is mentioned in your PS? You imply that I am a part of a group that I have never met. Though I agree with what you write, the tone makes me feel like it is a personal attack.
___
It boggles the mind how people tend to infer personal attacks from otherwise unemotive internet postings particularly those that quote them (the original poster) in the process.

I was merely responding to what you wrote and how it made you seem to be of the school of thought which believes that, if what's available in ArchiCAD is good for you, then it must be good for everyone else and Graphisoft would be wasting development resources in trying to improve other areas of the program that don't affect your own workflow.

When you make statements like this:
ejrolon wrote:
Nope, I'm not interested in that, because depending on the project I use AC's Sketch Render or Lightwork, Artlantis, C4D's Sketch and Toon, Advanced Renderer or Vray. Archicad main purpose is not Rendering, there are specialized applications for that.
......in response to someone else suggesting certain things that Graphisoft would improve on in the program ( because they presumably can't afford the nice range of programs you listed above, for example), then it tends to come off as you suggesting that the other persons concerns don't really matter. Whether or not you you intended it to. Granted you didn't generalize.

Regardless, you should try to avoid being so sensitive and seeing personal attacks or tonal inflections where there are none because all I was merely challenging was your view as it was presented or rather your apparent opinion and not really YOU as an individual. Especially since you clarified your point, making the misunderstanding moot.

Peace

p.s. if there is any tone you read in my post, it was more likely my frustration with Graphisoft themselve rather than with you. Sometimes it feels to me like they have this amazing tool, or what could be an amazing tool but for whatever reason they decide not to push it or develop it to ts maximum potential. I really hope version 12 proves me wrong........but I highly doubt that it will.
Eduardo Rolon
Bricklyne,

That's the main problem with written communication, no visual feedback. In a bar drinking beers reaction would be different.

…because they presumably can't afford the nice range of programs you listed above, for example…
It is called making a budget. That list is less than the price for a new AC license.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

ejrolon wrote:
Bricklyne,

That's the main problem with written communication, no visual feedback. In a bar drinking beers reaction would be different.

.......well then here's raising a glass to the hope that ArchiCAD version 12 will make us all smile (and stop whining, like myself) for at least a year.
Dennis Lee
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
Hm...I'd be willing to bet that you are not the person who pays for your softwares and their updates!
Dennis, I am a one man shop and I PAY for ALL my SOFTWARE, I resent the implication. It is WAY OFF Base
I stand corrected. I apologize. I think you may have misunderstood my point though. I was guessing (wrongly) that you probably have a cool boss that pays for all of that software. Maybe you thought I was implying something else.

BTW, is it really worth it to have Artlantis, C4d, and Vray? I ask because I am a one man (plus a woman) shop myself, and I have been considering which one of the above to purchase for a while. I do like the ease of use of Artlantis, the cool effects of the SketchToon and the possible modeling advantages of C4d, and the qualities of Vray renderings, but I'm leaning towards settling on Artlantis. I can't imagine buying all three softwares, and of course I would love to just stick to Lightworks if it is improved in AC12.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Eduardo Rolon
I definitively assumed wrongly, sorry for taking it too personal.

In order of MY preferences,
I would definitively start with Artlantis, it is quirky but fast and easy. C4D (basic will work,not architecture or XL) with Vray and the $75 AC exchange plugin in is my favorite setup. It lets you keep updating the model for rendering without having to reapply materials (much like Artlantis "open with reference") or stopping the work in AC while it renders. Export from AC and substitute in C4D. The Sketch and Toon plugin is ± a disappointment, a little too slow and difficult to use effectively.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!