BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Working on multiple bid Pacakges while keeping info in1model

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I'll start here.
How does everyone work in a project that 1st has a core & shell bid package, then the tenant bid packages start happening. We have a project that we are on the 4th Bid package and we have to do the record dwgs for Bid package #1,#2, & #3 and we're having a little trouble getting just BP#1 stuff to show up to make a BP#1 record dwg pdf (with all Addendum & CCD changes in). We've started to do some thing differently on later dwgs but I was wondering how all of you guys handle multiple bid packages? We'd like to ultimately have a single building with all correct info in it. Is it possible? Modules used?

Thanks for any ideas,
Michele
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but doesn't different layer combos cut it?

(BTW, I'd like to know what the current Guinness record dwg pdf is )
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele wrote:
Is it possible? Modules used?
Yes it is possible. There is more than one way to approach it, but I would recommend using hotlinks. Modules might come in handy (they often do) but you will probably do best with hotlinking project files (PLN-solo or PLP-teamwork).

Since I don't know the details of your project I will just make some basic recommendations. Each bid package should have its own separate project file (PLN or PLP depending on size, complexity, staff size and organization). Addendum and CCD changes are best made within the project file for each bid package. (Tracking and documentation is too complex to get into here but I find the simplest approach is to use PDFs and don't expect to retain all historical docs in the main file.)

The tenant fit out packages should start with a new project file based on the properties and attributes of the core and shell (or a common template file for all). You can then hotlink the C&S into this as a background for the fit outs.

The tenant fit out files can then be hotlinked back into the C&S to create the completed building. Be sure to select the "Skip Nested Modules" check box in the Hotllinks Manager. Since the files are linked to each other this could cause trouble (though I haven't tested this).

It is best to keep the layouts for each bid set in its own project folder. The consolidated drawing set should be assembled from PDFs anyway since they will represent a published contact documents, while the layouts in the project files are subject to ongoing changes.

It is very important to get the layers, pens and other attributes set up first so they are consistent throughout the various files. It is possible but not fun to change them after the files have proliferated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the explanation. We've done this in projects since the first one (there's always learning being done). Does anyone ever have a file that has everything - core/shell and all the tenants that they use to hotlink in or does everyone just start w/ the core/shell and hotlink all tenants in as they need them?

Thanks,
Michele
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michele wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. We've done this in projects since the first one (there's always learning being done). Does anyone ever have a file that has everything - core/shell and all the tenants that they use to hotlink in or does everyone just start w/ the core/shell and hotlink all tenants in as they need them?

Thanks,
Michele
I have done some complete models with all the tenant fit outs in the same model as the core and shell but they were very small. On one of them I had some help on the RCPs using modules but otherwise I did the whole thing. It was a single story building of about 20ksf with only four tenants and even then the layers were getting a bit tedious to manage.

One of the beauties of hotlinks is that you can assign each one to its own master layer and turn them on and off at will (no need for linking/unlinking). This way the tenant fit out files can all use the same layers and combinations as the core and shell. As long as the attributes are consistent it's all very tidy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our project was done (in version 9 - the job started in 2006) in couple of different files but when we have to do asbuilts for each bid package (retaining all changes from CCD's and all keynotes which are different from Bid Package to bid package) it got kind of mixed up. We did a core package model then made a tenant package model for each floor of a 3 story building for bid package 2 and 3. These Two bid packages used the same pln files. We did make separate layers for the dims and notes. Now when we are making the as built files, we see the other tenant ceiling grids and walls. So what we've done since then is make a new pln file for each tenant package and hot link the files needed into it and go from there.

From reading what you've written, it sounds like we're on the right track now. Thank goodness for 10 because it's heck going back to 9 and working in that version.

Thanks again,
Michele
Learn and get certified!