BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3D printing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I just did a quick search on zcorp, and found some posts from last year where people seemed to have issues getting a good 3D print from an AC model. We're a service bureau, specializing in architectural models using the ZCorp printer mostly, and some SLA as well. We've also been using AC for a couple of years, with great success. If anyone has questions on the process, I'd be happy to help. You can see many examples of these models at alchemymodels.com.
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool. Can you post pics of some models you've made from ArchiCAD?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure. Here's a residential model. We also do a lot of monochromatic models. On the color ones, textures (image maps for roof, stone, etc.) convey from AC. Sometimes, we'll paint solid colors by hand if the raw color doesn't come out really good. We have a gallery of these models at our site. Most of the residential models there were done in AC. We've also done several commercial models in AC (shopping centers and condos).
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
How much did it cost for you to get this 3D printed?
And another question: Would this price be feasible for residential projects? I mean, could you build it into your price so that the client would pay for it?

I am actually interested in at what size project would 3D printing could be part of the architectural service package. I guess for larger buildings, tens of thousands of square feet, that is not a problem, the cost is minimal compared to the cost of the architectural fees on the whole project.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Although cost is an issue, models like this are typically required by architectural review boards in many custom home communities. The costs are in line or lower than a traditional model builder, but the time to build is less. Additionally, with this process, the client approves renderings of the project before we build the physical model. This is in sharp contrast to the traditional method where a model maker builds the model, and then will meet with the clients to go over changes that need to be made, resulting in more time to fix the model.

As for building this into the architectural fees, most of our clients bill their client separately (with a small upcharge) for the model. If you're considering that a client may just like a small model for their desk, a 1:16 scale or smaller would be more feasible in size and cost. Here's an example of a house built at about 1:30 and 1:40.
Erika Epstein
Booster
What time frame to create and costs for the models you show?
Did I miss your website?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
jtbraun wrote:
Although cost is an issue, models like this are typically required by architectural review boards in many custom home communities. The costs are in line or lower than a traditional model builder, but the time to build is less. Additionally, with this process, the client approves renderings of the project before we build the physical model. This is in sharp contrast to the traditional method where a model maker builds the model, and then will meet with the clients to go over changes that need to be made, resulting in more time to fix the model.

As for building this into the architectural fees, most of our clients bill their client separately (with a small upcharge) for the model. If you're considering that a client may just like a small model for their desk, a 1:16 scale or smaller would be more feasible in size and cost. Here's an example of a house built at about 1:30 and 1:40.
Thanks, nice stuff.

If I had the money I would probably buy some of these machines and start such a 3D printing service in Hungary.
I think there is market for it. If its cost can be similar to that of a model maker's model, then there is definitely market for it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
"jtbraun" Here's an example of a house built at about 1 wrote:

Great: Big key fobs.

"Don't leave home without … home!"
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure how to take that, but I'll try to explain the rational behind the small models pictured. The same AC file used to build those two models was used to build the large, 1:8 scale model pictured here. Once we have the computer file, we can scale it up or down as necessary, and build. No additional work necessary.

Let's say you have a client that is building a big spec house. The cost of a 1:30 or 1:40 model here, once we have the good AC file is neglible, maybe $100 or so. Some clients use such models in their marketing to send to very hot prospects.

Or, you can use them as big key fobs. Your choice .
Peterson309_11.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
no offense meant. I was just astonished with the coins.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!