BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ac 12 'core only' question

Anonymous
Not applicable
For those who have seen AC12 already - I'm really glad to see the new core only option and would like to make good use of it. One thingI'm wondering though, is whether there is any mechanism to deal with door and window casing?

Specifically, if you are set to core only and have doors/windows with casing, the casing will be floating out away from the wall. What we really need is a core only option for the doors and windows, i guess. How is this dealt with in AC12?
19 REPLIES 19
TomWaltz
Participant
Archicad shows the wall with just the core, so the casing floats away from the core.

Technically, it is correct, since the casing still acts as through the finishes are there, just that the finishes are just invisible.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Archicad shows the wall with just the core, so the casing floats away from the core.

Technically, it is correct, since the casing still acts as through the finishes are there, just that the finishes are just invisible.
Definitely correct, but it would be great (essential?) if the casing could be turned off globally in conjunction with 'core only'

With all due credit to the work that goes into each new feature and release, this is where those new features have a tough time making it from good idea to real-world application. So it's great to have the core only feature but floating casing may mean that many won't use the feature. I'll have to see how it looks, but there's no good solution. Even with cadimage doors/windows which allow more control, the trims are either on or off for plan view. It might be possible to use pens, but more experimenting will be needed. With AC doors/windows, you can't adjust casing separately as far as I know.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:

Definitely correct, but it would be great (essential?) if the casing could be turned off globally in conjunction with 'core only'

With all due credit to the work that goes into each new feature and release, this is where those new features have a tough time making it from good idea to real-world application. So it's great to have the core only feature but floating casing may mean that many won't use the feature. I'll have to see how it looks, but there's no good solution. Even with cadimage doors/windows which allow more control, the trims are either on or off for plan view. It might be possible to use pens, but more experimenting will be needed. With AC doors/windows, you can't adjust casing separately as far as I know.
Didn't have the chance to open AC12 yet, but I'm sure that you can use this new feature with the "model view options", it's just one setting to ask the hole to stay visible but not the casing.

Am I wrong ß testers ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are there any improvements in prioriries?
for example slab and wall with differentcomposite structures interact with each other or it's like in ac11?
TomWaltz
Participant
Til wrote:
Chris wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:

Didn't have the chance to open AC12 yet, but I'm sure that you can use this new feature with the "model view options", it's just one setting to ask the hole to stay visible but not the casing.

Am I wrong ß testers ?
Model view options affect sections and elevations, but not the 3D window, so it depends on which view you want to look at.

Model view options still only turn off the entire door or window. They can't turn off just the casing and leave the rest.
Tom Waltz
The new global GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY reflects the partial structure display condition.

So D/W could be scripted to omit casing when finishes are off, e.g.

Not the answer that most people who want the casings handled as finishes but don't want to script D/W want to hear.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
stefan
Expert
zucoc wrote:
Are there any improvements in priorities?
for example slab and wall with different composite structures interact with each other or it's like in ac11?
No changes. One of my major gripes...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
so besides the curtain wall system there's nothing on new for modeling
that's great
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
The new global GLOB_STRUCTURE_DISPLAY reflects the partial structure display condition.

So D/W could be scripted to omit casing when finishes are off, e.g.

Not the answer that most people who want the casings handled as finishes but don't want to script D/W want to hear.
I use the cadimage door and window builder a lot and asked them about this - they say it's being incorporated into their v.12 update so I'm hoping for the best. AC shoudl also get this integrated in to their objects
Learn and get certified!