BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sequential Numbering

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

It would be great to be able to do sequential numbering. I often do furniture or parking layouts and need to add one number after the next without making a mistake. So it would be really good to be able set the numbering system to sequential numbering and then click to add "1", "2", "3", etc straight onto the drawing without having to add text boxes and typing the number in.

Or perhaps it can already be done.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
14 REPLIES 14
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Graeme,

I'm sure you know that there is a preference to turn ID numbering (sequential) on or off ... but of course you don't have much control over the sequence, e.g., if elements are deleted, etc.

Element ID Manager (EIM) is designed for renumbering any elements into some continuous sequential pattern - which is fine if one wants unique ID's for all, or perhaps the same ID for identical elements and otherwise sequential. But, if what you want is to be able to point at items in a given sequence - for example, windows in a clockwise fashion - you're right, the only option today is to select and edit the ID in the Info Box.

As far as editing in the Info Box, note that the Work Environment lets you rearrange Info Box content however you like - for example putting the ID near the top so that it is always visible and ready to edit.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
Our Australian colleague Julia Skinner has created an object "Counting Shapes" that returns the ID number contained in a shape.

Julia has been quiet on the forum but perhaps she might make it available or remind us where it can be had?
098.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl and Dwight,

The counting object of Julia Skinner sounds good. Does anybody know how to get this?

The ID manager is the correct way to do this as Karl suggests however it would be good to be able to add these numbers quickly sometimes when in a hurry to get work finished. Just a point and click is my wish.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Graeme,
In the object depository there is an object by James Murray
called Shape Tag JM 9 that does what you want but
remember it behaves the way Karl says it will.
Peter Devlin
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
There was also a great tip by Woody years ago. Select your windows or doors in the order that you want them sequentially numbered then use the element ID manager, this will then number the windows/doors in the order that they were selected.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Karl Ottenstein
Ben wrote:
There was also a great tip by Woody years ago. Select your windows or doors in the order that you want them sequentially numbered then use the element ID manager, this will then number the windows/doors in the order that they were selected.
Oooooo baby. [(c) Dwight]

I must have missed that one. Good news. Thanks, Ben.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter and Ben,

Thanks for that! I have downloaded the Shape Tag JM 9 and it is excellent.

Ben the tip on the doors and windows is also invaluable!!!

This is such a great site with helpful people!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben,
Works great.
and I guess thanks "Woody", also.
Bier
Karl Ottenstein
Bier wrote:
and I guess thanks "Woody", also.
Here's Woody's original 2005 post (with several more in the same thread)...thanks to Google:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=30875#30875

Karl
Learn and get certified!