BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Zermatt [and in 2009: Virtual Building Explorer]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody heard some news about the zermatt engine? We know it sort of stopped beeing developed any further but any idea if there is still a future for this product?

Thanks Carsten
142 REPLIES 142
owen
Newcomer
oh one more thing..

the Material Exchange Plugin for Cinema4D has still not been updated to AC12 after 8 months

How many people use (or will) VBE? How many people use Cinema4D with AC?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Pertti Paasky
Expert
VBE manual says:
"Texture Formats...
...Alpha Channel Texture Effects
VBE supports alpha channel texture effects with 32-bit tif, tga and bmp
images. For the alpha channel effects to be detected inside VBE, you must
enable transparency in the ArchiCAD material/texture properties."

Does this mean that it´s possible to use alpha channel as a transparency map? Trees and grids look good that way.

Is there a chance to sava a part of the 3d model defined by marque tool?

Archicad saves .3ds textures in .bmp format, which doesn´t support alpha channel. How to export transparency maps to Zermaatt 3.1 ?
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyway .. Zermatt/VBE looks like a good product but my question is why the hell is Graphisoft wasting money and resources on this when there is so much to work to do on their core product?? Graphisoft just keeps pissing around painting the walls with niche products like this while the Autodesk hive is busy taking away the structure holding the <b>[censored]</b> things up.

>Yes-waste of time and money for a "cool" - niche produkt. Nobody will pay me for modelling everthing, so my clients would come up with: i want a diffent ----; Sorry its just a symbol and free modelling is not really opssible in archicad. Maybe fine für students, but not for our daily work. There a lots of wishes open in the core.

Anyway if a client (will and pay) a vitual work, i would preffer usind c4d and Quicktime 😉

so useless product: VBE
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Dirk wrote:

Architects create design and communicate the design. VBE happens to be very good at communicating design. Spot on for an architect I'd say!

So very good product: VBE

😉
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dirk wrote:
There a lots of wishes open in the core.
Dirk, there are a lot of wishes for an Archicad viewer too. I've never used Zermatt (I'm on the Mac) but this is at least an attempt to satisfy those wishes. I see no point in underestimating it.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:
...Anyway .. Zermatt/VBE looks like a good product but my question is why the hell is Graphisoft wasting money and resources on this when there is so much to work to do on their core product??...
Dirk wrote:
Yes-waste of time and money for a "cool" - niche produkt....
I thought that was the whole point of buying in Zermatt: so they didn't have to spend any precious time or resources on it. If they had created it from scratch I could see your point, but other than creating the bit that allows direct launching from inside AC, it seems it was all done for them.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Architects create design and communicate the design. VBE happens to be very good at communicating design. Spot on for an architect I'd say!
I agree that this sort of thing is needed, is somewhat differentiating and moving forward, will be increasingly expected.

However, I'm really disappointed that GS made it so insanely complicated to look at instead of making is drop dead simple, which considering the potential audience, is what is needed.

(Edit) and what I really want is for this to be a publishing option, like DWF.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Brett Brown
Advocate
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Dirk wrote:

So very good product: VBE

😉

Mats, I'll ask you again, What's different about VBE than WRML? I can see nothing apart for a dimensioning tool. Big deal. Why do you have to pay double (NZ$2500.00) for "Global Illumination" to bring it up to some reality and on a par with the free WRML? WRML is all I use and all my clients are happy with what it produces. So why would I want to pay an exorbinant fee for something like this. I agree with all that has been said about GS apparent plan for the future, and is yet another indicator they have no intention of fixing the core of Archicads users wishes.

As a side note can WRML work on a mac? If it does, who cares about VBE?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
WRML is all I use and all my clients are happy with what it produces.
I'm not familiar with WRML. Do you mean VRML? What viewer do you use?
Brett Brown
Advocate
Sorry, you are right VRML, Viewer Cortona3D
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Learn and get certified!