Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall intersection

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do i intersect tilted walls?
I have two walls, one on the first floor, and the other on the second.. the first one with 100º of inclination the other with 50º.
Can you help me?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
LuCruz wrote:
I have two walls, one on the first floor, and the other on the second.. the first one with 100º of inclination the other with 50º.
Can you help me?
Make sure that the walls share the same home story. After that, simply select them and use the "Intersect" command.

Cheers,
Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
adytc wrote:
LuCruz wrote:
Can you help me?
Make sure that the walls share the same home story. After that, simply select them and use the "Intersect" command.

Cheers,
Adrian Tudoreanu
No, what i want is to intersect them on space.
Both walls are part of a facade, they have diferent inclinations, and are one over the other, not in the same story.
Anonymous
Not applicable
LuCruz wrote:
No, what i want is to intersect them on space.
Both walls are part of a facade, they have diferent inclinations, and are one over the other, not in the same story.
In that case, you could:
- try using profiled walls instead of inclined ones (create your profiles from a section in which the intersection of the walls is as it should be); the result won't need any additional operations;

or:
- do some SEO (Solid Element Operations) using other tilted walls as operators in order to cut the unwanted parts of the intersection; place the operators on a hidden layer;

or:
- use some roofs that trim the unwanted parts of walls (use the "Trim to Roof" command to do that); in the end, you can delete the roofs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
using other elements such as other walls or a roof doesn't have a perfect result.. and using profiled walls with the correct intersection between them results in diferent thickness walls which could not happen.
I thought there was some way as a simple intersection, as it happens for regular walls.. what a huge mistake from Archi!
Anonymous
Not applicable
LuCruz wrote:
using profiled walls with the correct intersection between them results in diferent thickness walls which could not happen.
I'm not sure I'm following that. Isn't this what you are trying to achieve? (see the attached image) If not, please post a screen shot with your issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
adytc wrote:
LuCruz wrote:
using profiled walls with the correct intersection between them results in diferent thickness walls which could not happen.
I'm not sure I'm following that. Isn't this what you are trying to achieve? (see the attached image) If not, please post a screen shot with your issue.
Yes, is that! how did you do this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
LuCruz wrote:
Yes, is that! how did you do this?
That's basic geometry: in order to keep the same thickness for the walls, the intersection line has to be the bisector of the angle between them (see the attached image).
Anonymous
Not applicable
can i draw a bisector line an then cut the walls by this bisector?
i'm not really understandig the procedure to get to your drawing...
Anonymous
Not applicable
LuCruz wrote:
can i draw a bisector line an then cut the walls by this bisector?
i'm not really understandig the procedure to get to your drawing...
Before drawing any wall, simply draw a section through your facade elements (that is manual drawing, using lines and fills; make sure that everything's intersecting properly). After doing that, you can go on and create the profiles for your walls (in my previous attachments there are 2 profiles; note that profiles can have any shape - meaning that your profiled walls will have the top/bottom trimmed at a certain angle).
An even quicker solution might be drawing one single profiled wall that would extend all the way up your facade (it would have a zig-zaging profile, according to your section). In order to display it on all stories, choose the "All Relevant Stories" option from the "Floor Plan Display - Show on Stories" tab.
For more information about profiled elements, please do a search for "complex profiles" in ArchiCAD's Help or read the Reference Guide.

Cheers,
Adrian Tudoreanu