BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

exporting to c4d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I've tried just about all the various options and so far find the OBJ format to work the best. However, when I export by materials, which makes sense, ALL the AC geometry of that material comes in as ONE single polygon object in C4D. This is a major, major pain as there is no easy way to split all the polygons like the explode command in autocad...you have to do it polygon by polygon. What I would really like to see in the file transfer is all the polys of one material to come in under a single null object in C4D so that each part is easily accessed amd edited in C4D and yet comes in already "sorted" by material under the null object. This would save a lot of time. By the way, that is the way FormZ objects come in, except I used to do it by layers, but same concept.

Have I missed an option here somewhere that might work better? I did try the AC to C4D exchange plugin...and offhand can not remember the results as far as how the geometry came in.
151 REPLIES 151
owen
Newcomer
Bernd,
b_lutz wrote:
..I am following this thread since some time now and there is much important information for me in it. As Gergely already pointed out, the way data is exchanged between ArchiCAD and CINEMA 4D si exchanged changed. Those changes brought some problems, but also gives us much more possibilities in the future.
Good to hear from you, and i must say this interaction from both GS and Maxon is very encouraging. Thanks for asking for our input.
b_lutz wrote:
..what kind of work you are doing and what kind of projects you are working on.
So as i mentioned before our clients (currently all architects) are using both ArchiCAD (v10-12) and Cinema4D (R10-R11). These offices are generally focused on smaller scale residential, commercial and educational projects although there are a few larger projects in the mix (largest being a high-rise project). Competitions are common as well.
b_lutz wrote:
To help me understanding your problems better, could you please give me a quick overview on your workflow ..
Most of the offices using C4D are using it both for Visualization (the Exchange Plugin) and Modelling (the old 'Maxonform' plugin).

I will focus on the Viz side of things for the moment but generally those using the new free modelling plugin find it quite useful, although the size of anything created in C4D when it is exported back to ArchiCAD is a bit of a problem. Objects that C4D has no problems working with can turn into enormous GDL objects in ArchiCAD which really slow things down.

For Viz work all use the Exchange Plugin as i expect most do - generating views of the ArchiCAD model and exporting the geometry based on Material, perhaps as several files, say for Structure, Interiors, Enclosure, etc matching Hotlink Modules in ArchiCAD - helps to break up large files which can often crash C4D on Merge. We have Cinema4D templates setup with shaders assigned to a dummy file with all materials from our ArchiCAD template. Therefore for maximum efficiency our workflow relies on assigning all the correct properties in ArchiCAD and keeping the amount of work done in Cinema to a minimum (typically just adding render elements such as trees, people, etc). Cameras and lights are generally set up in ArchiCAD and exported along with the geometry and then adjusted in Cinema as required (one reason is composite AC+C4D drawings so the cameras need to align).
b_lutz wrote:
Are you mostly doing still or animations also? Are you using any other software after rendering in CINEMA 4D?
Mostly stills, animations not very often (may change, just a training issue we are working on). The VRayforC4D render engine is also used by some and renders usually go through post in Photoshop.
b_lutz wrote:
What is the biggest problem with the exchange between ArchiCAD 12 and CINEMA 4D?
In general the existing Exchange Plugin works really well for Viz purposes - there could be some improvements the others who directly use this every day may be able to contribute, i will give it some thought and get back.

The ability to export geometry grouped by different options is very important to the efficiency of this workflow. Group by Material is the most common and is the one we really miss - it makes it extremely quick to find and replace material assignments in C4D. The major problem with the current AC12 export plugin for C4D is that is breaks the model up into hundreds of elements according to the ArchiCAD model structure (columns, slabs, etc) and there is no option as to how this is done. Now although this might give you a little more flexibility in Cinema if you need to edit elements, this makes it extremely time consuming to find elements
and assign materials, tags, etc
b_lutz wrote:
How often does a project get updated and what kind of data is getting changed?
As i said, they are all architects

.. so this means everything changes all the time!

Geometry changes are pretty frequent, particularly during competitions when it may be several times per day. All model changes are done in AC and these need to be updated in Cinema without having to reassign all your shaders, tags, etc. This is what is so great about the current Exhange Plugin - it does pretty much exactly what we need (but maybe we have just gotten used to what we have).

Almost forgot .. one more thing the plugin is great for is doing material options - so you have several copies of the imported ArchiCAD geometry with different shader options assigned, which all get updated with any AC model changes. Having to reassign shaders on multiple copies of the model every time would be a nightmare.

hope this helps - tried to keep it general but if you want any more info just ask. Im sure everyone else has plenty to contribute on this too as they are full-time Viz guys .. its just a small part of what we do.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Eduardo Rolon
My work flow approaches Owens, multiple exports from AC to a predefined C4D file doing renderings.

These usually are done continually during the design process, to evaluate volume, shadows, lightning conditions, materials, etc.

I had the flexibility of Open with reference from Artlantis with the quality of Vray.

Most of the work are stills, but some sun studies are animated.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Wokka
Contributor
b_lutz wrote:
could you please give me a quick overview on your workflow

Once again, similar to Owens. As the ArchiCad model is generally also used for building documentation, the modelling needs to be very accurate, so the more we can do in ArchiCad, the better. For the initial merge we always use 'materials' with cameras and lights. (any update I don't use lights or cameras as they only seem to export the camera position, the focal length etc is always incorrect for a C4D camera and the C4D cameras are much more powerfull)
A quick little issue, the exporting always has camera/lights ticked. It would be good if it remember the previous export options.
b_lutz wrote:
and some information on what kind of work you are doing and what kind of projects you are working on.

Residential and commercial projects, mostly external. Mostly no larger than 3-4 storey's though if anyone has any larger projects they need help with, send me a PM

b_lutz wrote:
Are you mostly doing still or animations also?

Usually stills, only 1 or 2 animations per year.
b_lutz wrote:
Are you using any other software after rendering in CINEMA 4D?

Almost exclusively Vray
b_lutz wrote:
What is the biggest problem with the exchange between ArchiCAD 12 and CINEMA 4D?

From what I see, there is no real exchange. The ability to go back and forth between the programs would be exchange. Sure the 'maxonform' functionality is good but it doesn't allow the primary aim (from my point of view) of the plugin. Quickly updating ArchiCad and therefore C4D. Can you imagine the frustration of needing to move a window in a large project and spending an hour reassigning materials? Of course we could move it in C4D but we would loss the 'link' with ArchiCad.
b_lutz wrote:
How often does a project get updated and what kind of data is getting changed?

Daily if not hourly. So often we get a call "we want to see what it looks like with a round window" then an hour later " how about a triangle?"

Hope this is helpful!

This is just an idea for discussion. In ArchiCad we create viewsets for our documents that basically take a snapshot of the project with particular layers, pens, materials etc. Integration into Archicad via saving a view of the model could then basically 'hotlink' our file to C4D. Save ArchiCad and run an 'update ArchiCad model' in C4D would be real integration. I think this would be good generally for projects but there could be issues with saving different versions, teamwork etc. Just a thought.....
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
owen
Newcomer
Wokka wrote:
This is just an idea for discussion. In ArchiCad we create viewsets for our documents that basically take a snapshot of the project with particular layers, pens, materials etc. Integration into Archicad via saving a view of the model could then basically 'hotlink' our file to C4D. Save ArchiCad and run an 'update ArchiCad model' in C4D would be real integration. I think this would be good generally for projects but there could be issues with saving different versions, teamwork etc. Just a thought.....
A real bi-direction exchange (or Hotlink) that retained some intelligence would be great - understand there will be some things that just cannot be translated between the two though.

Another thing that could be handled better (which Warwick touched on) is treatment of cameras. At the moment cameras Field of View settings get screwed up on import (become much narrower - 90deg in AC ends up around 25deg in C4D) - easy enough to fix but not to have to do it would be better. However i think there is the opportunity for a much closer integration with ArchiCAD whereby individual cameras and camera paths are completely syncd between the two applications and changes could be made in either. The Cinema camera system is really powerful and I would like to see some of this come across into ArchiCAD (which would probably require some work to ArchiCAD itself). Being able to define bi-directional links between AC and C4D cameras could even open the door for accessing Cinema functions directly within ArchiCAD, such as 'Render Camera in Cinema4D' ..

will just keep throwing ideas out there as they come
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Wokka
Contributor
owen wrote:
Being able to define bi-directional links between AC and C4D cameras could even open the door for accessing Cinema functions directly within ArchiCAD, such as 'Render Camera in Cinema4D' ..
Good in theory but I always use C4D for importing better cars, trees, people etc so the render in C4D would really just be an update of the C4D file. Which lighting rig would it use?, etc would be an issue if you just send it to C4D.
If you were to follow that thinking, you'd really be saying instead of render with lightworks, render with AR, render with Maxwell , render with Vray etc.
I've always believed Archicad should an architectural documenting, BIM tool first and a renderer second. Sure lightworks etc should be improved and developed, but not at the expense of the real job ArchiCad does. We all know it has a lot of unresolved issues with new tools that don't quiet work properly and haven't been fixed for several releases (ie SEO's, libraries, curved roofs etc). Let Graphisoft work on ArchiCad, Maxon work on C4D and just maintain a good link between the two.
The current plugin (NOT exchange plugin but 'Maxonform') for me is completely separate software and it's only use is creating distorted objects not easily generated in ArchiCad. Unfortunatley they are completely bloated and generally unusable in mainstream documentation (unless you like to hack GDL) but OK in the design process. Maybe new API's like 'objective', cadimage, etc might fill this role better eventually?

Sorry, little Sunday night rant...

Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
owen
Newcomer
Wokka wrote:
Good in theory but I always use C4D for importing better cars, trees, people etc so the render in C4D would really just be an update of the C4D file. Which lighting rig would it use?, etc would be an issue if you just send it to C4D.
If you were to follow that thinking, you'd really be saying instead of render with lightworks, render with AR, render with Maxwell , render with Vray etc.
We do pretty much the same (adding entourage, etc in C4D) and you said basically what i am suggesting - trigger a render in the linked application - although I am not proposing to be able to alter C4D render settings from within AC, you would have to switch to C4D to do that. But if say a camera is linked you could trigger a C4D render of the linked camera using the linked files current render settings. But maybe it is not really that useful afterall - it would just automate the 'Update C4D with AC Model' and 'Render Active Camera' processes.
Wokka wrote:
I've always believed Archicad should an architectural documenting, BIM tool first and a renderer second. Sure lightworks etc should be improved and developed, but not at the expense of the real job ArchiCad does. We all know it has a lot of unresolved issues with new tools that don't quiet work properly and haven't been fixed for several releases (ie SEO's, libraries, curved roofs etc). Let Graphisoft work on ArchiCad, Maxon work on C4D and just maintain a good link between the two.
I probably did not explain myself clearly enough. I actually think Graphisoft should focus on providing better links to other rendering programs than providing a better built-in render engine and put more into the core 'BIM' tools. I can understand the market logic of doing the latter though - many people do not have access to or want to buy a separate render engine (look at what Revit has available). The above camera-linking function is just one idea for better linking of the two, beyond a simple linking of the model. It would somewhat simplify things for basic rendering tasks that are just beyond what the internal render engine can do. It seems like Maxon+GS are looking for these sort of opportunities - who knows what the new 'Melange' API will allow. But i agree entirely that if it slows development on their respective applications core functions then it should be given a low priority.
Wokka wrote:
The current plugin (NOT exchange plugin but 'Maxonform') for me is completely separate software and it's only use is creating distorted objects not easily generated in ArchiCad. Unfortunatley they are completely bloated and generally unusable in mainstream documentation (unless you like to hack GDL) but OK in the design process. Maybe new API's like 'objective', cadimage, etc might fill this role better eventually?
Yes very different functions and I am also very aware of its problems! Objects created in C4D are often so large as to be unusable in AC - if they do anything more on the 'Maxonform' side of things this really needs to be the highest priority. Maybe there is some way Cinema can be leveraged to enhance AC tools, but the result needs to be way more flexible and intelligent than the current 'Maxonform' output (bloated GDL objects). e.g a wall transformed in C4D should remain a wall back in AC, not a dumb GDL object. However I have hopes that Graphisoft will be improving their own modelling engine and tools, includi....

It sounds like Maxon+GS are looking to roll the two functions (Viz+Modelling) into one add-on, which kind of makes sense - but for now i really think they should focus on the Vis uses of C4D<>AC exchange
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great! A discussion with some of the 'players' listening. I have a similar workflow to the others. Our project sizes range from a kitchen joinery option test to renders of 70 storey+ highrise towers. You try reassigning materials everytime to that one when your commercial foyers have 30 or 40 materials. And there is no way I can hold the rest of the office back from using Archicad 12 when they finally have a good curtain wall tool for the office towers.

Another exchange wish would be to better bring across the sun settings in terms of north orientation and latitude/longtitude.

Agreed on the more accurate camera translation too.

Also like Wokka we use Vray for C4D predominantly but have to reverse the normals on the glass material polygons after every translation for the vray material properties to work properly. Is this something that can be fixed or even for the material and cinema to keep the reversed properties when it gets re-translated?

Another wish is for an option for the materials to be ordered by name and not just poly count on import.

Derek
owen
Newcomer
SunnyBris wrote:
...we use Vray for C4D predominantly but have to reverse the normals on the glass material polygons after every translation for the vray material properties to work properly. Is this something that can be fixed or even for the material and cinema to keep the reversed properties when it gets re-translated?

Another wish is for an option for the materials to be ordered by name and not just poly count on import.
I had completely overlooked this .. no idea why as it is THE major hassle with imported AC geometry using the existing plugin. Please do something to fix it, it screws up any volume effects.

Strangely this does not seem to be a problem when exporting via 3DS .. (maybe in am remembering incorrectly, not at my machine to double check)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Wokka
Contributor
Good call Derek, normals for glass are a hassle.
Probably something Maxon can't fix is that some windows created with GDL in Archicad use solid glass elements,ie two sided glazed panels. True in real life but can be a bit of a pain with 3D...
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for all of your input.
I am a bit bussy at the moment. That is the reason why I don't answer directly to your posts. But I collect all of your input, it wont get lost.

Chao
Bernd
Learn and get certified!