Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Is it possible to extract 3d data from .dwg file using AC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to convert this file into an AC object (3d) ...
it's saved as a .dwg but has 3d data. I opened it in SolidWorks eDrawings to verify that the 3d exist (It does, I'll attach a screenshot of it). I tried opening it in various ways in AC 11 but no success.

It's not that big of a deal but I was just wondering if its possible using nothing but ArchiCAD. I'll attach the .dwg file on the next post.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the .dwg file.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I don't get anything either as Open or as Open Object. Must be some bug.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
In the AC library Hood and Vent 11 (available also in 12) has under Type Design Hood 2 which is similar to what you show.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Thomas: Thanks for trying.
@Erika: Yup, I ended up using that object. Thanks.

I never knew that .dwg files can contain 3d data, I was always under the impression that the file had to be a .dxf in order to carry 3d info.

Depending on how often these type of files are used... it might be worth giving AC the capacity to import such data. But if its not widely used or is eventually going to be superseded with newer standards then forget about it.

Further input on this topic is welcomed.
Thomas Holm
Booster
junior wrote:
I never knew that .dwg files can contain 3d data, I was always under the impression that the file had to be a .dxf in order to carry 3d info.

Depending on how often these type of files are used... it might be worth giving AC the capacity to import such data.
Archicad has that capability. And has had it for quite some time.
Normally, if you open a 3D dwg using the Open Object command, Archicad will import the 3D info. (In AC12, you may even get some 3D data if you just Open, but I haven't been able to find out what exactly works that way).

So I think there is either a problem with this specific file, or a bug in Archicad's DWG importer that prevents Archicad from building the object. I don't get 2D grapics either, although AC reports that the GDL scripts are OK. Someone from GS should look into it, now that you've posted the file.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think it is also possible that the 3D geometry in the DWG file has been done using methods the result of which ArchiCAD cannot import.
I recall ACIS models were one such example.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I think it is also possible that the 3D geometry in the DWG file has been done using methods the result of which ArchiCAD cannot import.
I recall ACIS models were one such example.
More commonly are elements produced by AutoCAD add-on programs that require object enablers. These seem to be unreadable by any program other than AutoCAD (Revit included) unless the files are saved specifically to include the geometry. It's a bit like having an ArchiCAD project without the associated library parts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The dwg model is made using "regions". AC cannot import models, made with "regions" and "3d faces".

It's Graphisoft to blame this time...
Aussie John
Newcomer
Hi
Could a recalcitrant original file be resaved in another format to allow archicad to open in 3D?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]