Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof plan graphics

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a little difficulty with my roofs. I am relatively new to ArchiCAD but am very confident in my modeling skills. My understanding is that if two entities that are adjacent, coplanar, and have the same properties they are to show as one entity. In each of my projects I have to deal with eaves and soffits. To have something that is a different depth I have created two or more roofs that have different depths. But unfortunately when I have to show the plan the lines are there and I have to use fills to mask the plans, its a little frustrating.
I have tried:
*model view options
*cover fills
*creating fills to mask lines that I don't want to show

Its got to be a simple answer, the program does it in 3d but not in 2d. I need to be able to notate and label the drawings.

Any thoughts
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, TJBOTA...

I'm new to ArchiCAD also, and I'm not that confident in my modeling skills, so excuse me if this is a stupid answer. Would it work to simply turn off some roof layers when you're looking at the plan view?
Larry
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tjbota

Another option is to model the thinner roof covering the whole roof area, then add the thicker sections at eaves (just the extra thickness needed) and place these extra bits on a layer that is off in plan views, but turned on in 3D views, sections, elevations etc.

The adjacent co-planar same material thing only works in 3D views, not 2D plans.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I do it several ways. They are just not the same, so want properly join, since they are two different thicknesses. It is an issue with vaulted ceilings modeled accurately. I have modeled it with different roofs, and more often I model it with a typical (for me) 2x6 roof so the overhangs are right, and "correct" the building sections. However, it still gets messy if (and I do) material calculations. So, I make a judgement as to a full vault (then two different roof composites) or clipped ceilings (one roof at 2x6.. or so) for the overhang appearance in elevation. If I use two composites (2x6 and 2x12) I just use the lines an an excuse to label things as such, which can work out fine too. It can be a real pain sometimes to get the material to align.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display