Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Adjustable story markers in elevation

Rick Thompson
Expert
All too often I want the story markers at both ends, but need to adjust the location independently to facilitate drawing placement on the sheets. Just a little node to allow you to drag them individually at each story would be most helpful.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
9 REPLIES 9
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
...and see my Wish here...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Perhaps I am opening another can of worms here but I think that the idea of storeys is obsolete. We should have a plan view instead and not a storey view limited to one infinite horizontal section plane. The storey itself should be regarded as a reference level and not as a view.
Anyway, I am using a library part for this (with automatic detection of storeys) as the current built-in tool is really bad...
::rk
Brett Brown
Advocate
Rob wrote:
but I think that the idea of storeys is obsolete. We should have a plan view instead and not a storey view limited to one infinite horizontal section plane. The storey itself should be regarded as a reference level and not as a view.
Anyway, I am using a library part for this (with automatic detection of storeys) as the current built-in tool is really bad...
Could you explain a little more? Sceenshot of your library part working? And how it is different to this wish?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
well, ignore my blurb about obsolete storeys... that is something which is very distant to today's reality. It is completely different (and still theoretical) approach to our way of thinking with current AC. Anyway, I have created a library part that can identify storey name, level (in regards to any of referenced levels). It is customisable in terms of horizontal/vertical extent, marker shapes and appearance, text size/style and bla bla...

Of cause if you change storeys lib parts will not follow but if you had automatic storey names on they will at least warn you they are not positioned properly.

I have written down the GDL script in 5 hours with a bottle of red wine just for fun (no I was bored actually). I do not understand why GS has implemented that so poorly when even the GDL script covers this better and more flexibly. Honestly this tool is a joke...

the screen capture shows my library part next to the built-in GS things just to illustrate customisability...
Brett Brown
Advocate
As you say why isn't this sort of adjustable marker standard in Archicad. Would you be so kind in uploading it to the depository, so the rest of us long suffering users get tools to enhance our every day use. The hotspot is to move the marker head independent of the section extents as Rick was after?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Erich
Contributor
Rob,

This looks like an interesting part. Can you, and are you willing to, share it?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
Perhaps I am opening another can of worms here but I think that the idea of storeys is obsolete. We should have a plan view instead and not a storey view limited to one infinite horizontal section plane. The storey itself should be regarded as a reference level and not as a view.
Thinking out of the box, like it very much....A Wish
owen
Newcomer
Rob wrote:
I might be misunderstanding you but removing storeys as distinct model views sounds like it would then involve using something like the FPCP to create your 'Storey/Plan' views from a single horizontal model view space. Is this the direction you were thinking?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Owen,
Imagine a staggered horizontal section (or elevation) looking downwards (plans) and upward (RCPs) with vertical range of visibility- that is the simplest description I can give you. You can look at several storeys at the same time because the section is the view as opposed to current storey based views. All then makes a sense like step-down storeys, real RCPs etc. Do not get me wrong we do need storeys but for reference purposes only.

Now all
I have uploaded my level marker lib part. It sits under General/Markers and it's called simply Level Marker. Also I have rejigged the UI because I think it was a bit cluttered. All is yours just keep my creds in the info thing. Unfortunately AC12+ only, in English with British spelling (warning for non-English and US users). and also, I am not sure how it works with imperials...