Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New User Struggles-- on the simplest things

DaveOlufs
Participant
Even though I have over six years AC experience v5 thru v7, I'm really struggling to do simple things.

1- I have tried to create 12'Wx14'H overhead door with glazing panels. The best I can do is to show 4 windows.

2- I've tried to create a simple fixed aluminum frame window with a 2"Wx4.5"D frame with double glazed glass. I'm not even close as I've never seen frames like I've created.

3- I can't even get the perimeter line of the floor slab to show up in plan view.

These three items have taken 4 hours and I have nothing worthy to view. This is really humbling to be so non-productive and useless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave Olufs
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
28 REPLIES 28
Erich
Contributor
For the door and window what door/window are you using? There are issues with the door and widow trims in AC 12 and it may be that you are experiencing some of them. Perhaps a screen shot would help us understand better what you are seeing.

As for the slab, check in the slab selection settings (cntl T) that you have a solid line for the Outline>Uncut line and that it is an appropriate color to actually show up.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
DaveOlufs
Participant
Erich,

Thanks for the response. The slab is set with #142 black line (default) of which I can only see the perimeter line when I pan around.

Attached are a couple screen photos, one of the overhead door in plan with the door toolbox open. The other is the window in plan view with the toolbox settings. The window is 08 52 00 Wood Windows (W Fixed 12). Even though I'm trying to do a metal window, there are no metal windows that I found that were resembled a window...

If there are issues, when is a solution expected?

Thanks,
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
DaveOlufs
Participant
Another question...

WHAT is a rebate width on a window frame?

I've been around over 30 years and never heard that term before. I'm look forward to learning new stuff every day if I can but what is this and where did it evolve from?
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Erich
Contributor
Dave,

I think that for the overhead door you will be best served to make a custom leaf and use that. However, you might try looking at panel style 5. This seems to allow for a large number of glass panels, but there isn't the flexibility I would want.

As for the window, you did not appear to attach an image. Perhaps a screen shot of what you are seeing for your slab as well.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erich
Contributor
DaveOlufs wrote:
Another question...

WHAT is a rebate width on a window frame?

I've been around over 30 years and never heard that term before. I'm look forward to learning new stuff every day if I can but what is this and where did it evolve from?
You gotta call it something...
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
DaveOlufs
Participant
Erich,

A window stop works for me. Thanks
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Erich
Contributor
Dave,

I would call it a stop too and have the dimension for the stop thickness with the frame thickness measured from the edge of the frame to the sash. In reality the stop (as show in the drawing above) stays in place while the frame gets thinner. In that sense it is a rebate.

Out course, this also means that the window is not modeled as architects think about these things. We can add that to the ever growing list.

Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
gpowless
Advocate
DaveOlufs wrote:
Erich,

A window stop works for me. Thanks
I believe in Canadian and American joinery terms it would be called a rabit.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
gpowless wrote:
I believe in Canadian and American joinery terms it would be called a rabit.
Although I usually see it spelled "rabbet."
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10