BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

NEED HELP WITH MATERIALS!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am a student and very new to Archicad.
I am having trouble with materials:
1. I want to use aluminium framed windows. I used the tilt and turn window frame which had the default setting as a timber frame-in the window selection settings under the model tab I unchecked the box "use object materials" and selected alumium instead but it then changes everything to alumium including the glass panels-how can I make the frame aluminium and keep the panels as glass?

2. I want to change the tone of the french brown roofing tiles but even when I change the colour and light settings dramatically, the texture of the tile seems to override the other settings and the colour remains pretty much the same-how do I keep the pattern/texture of the tile but change it to a grey hue instead of a red one?
Thanks, Brenda
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Brenda wrote:
1. I want to use aluminium framed windows. I used the tilt and turn window frame which had the default setting as a timber frame-in the window selection settings under the model tab I unchecked the box "use object materials" and selected alumium instead but it then changes everything to alumium including the glass panels-how can I make the frame aluminium and keep the panels as glass?
Brenda:

As you have discovered, if you uncheck the "use object materials" box, the entire object is then made one material, so this is not the solution. The window should have some parameters for setting the materials of the individual parts (glass,, sash, etc). If you tell the forum the name of the window you are using, someone will probably be able to tell you where these are in the window's dialog box.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Dwight
Newcomer
These problems are not surprising.

1: Windows:

You need to use the "use object materials" setting and go into the dialog to change the specific materials.

2: Roof Tiles - can't change color.

When you render, the surface is a picture - called a texture map. If you are rendering in LightWorks you tint the material in the dialog below. OR: You duplicate the material and change it in Photoshop.
brick color.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
for the windo
materials.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
[Brenda - I just merged your duplicated thread, to which David replied, with this one. Welcome, but please post only once in one forum, and do not use ALL CAPS. Thx.]
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
OR: You duplicate the material and change it in Photoshop.

How do you get them out of ArchiCAD to edit them in Photoshop?
Dwight
Newcomer
How to Bust a file out of Archicad Jail:

The image you want to fix is a file with a name just like any other that opens in Photoshop like any image does.

If you save the edited image in the same folder as the original, a RELOAD of the Archicad library then registers that file in the data base. Swap the files within the Archicad dialog and you have the new texture.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been all through my ArchiCAD folders. Where are these files located?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nevermind. I found them.
Learn and get certified!