Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Google Earth and ArchiCAD (via SketchUp) - Too Cool!

Karl Ottenstein
Surely one of the most exciting things around is Google Earth.

Imagine how cool it would be to place your ArchiCAD structure into Google Earth! You would be able to get static imagery of different views from the building, remote views of the building in context (sans other buildings, trees, etc.), and even great animation sequences.

Guess what?! You can do it today if you have a copy of SketchUp (or download a 30 day free trial) and the pre-beta (sounds like alpha) Google Earth plug-in for SketchUp!

The workflow is this:

1. Model in AC. Generate desired 3D exterior view in 3D window, top view. Export as 3DS with textures.

2. Follow instructions in the SU pre-alpha plug-in user guide to capture coordinates and an image of the building site in Google Earth and import into SU.

3. Import your 3DS building model into SU and move/rotate/scale it into place onto the Google Earth site. If the site is sloping, elevate the building to the correct elevation above sea level.

4. Export the resulting model as a Google Earth model file (if you elevated above sea level, export as 'absolute') - Google Earth automatically opens with the model placed on the site. Navigate, save images and movies, have fun.

5. If you want, email your GE model to clients or colleagues. It will open in GE and they can play, too.

The attached image of a 3-plex at our local ski resort shows the ability to obtain the exact terrain of the viewshed.

Ignore how ugly the building looks. (Google Earth cannot do lighting or shadows ... just gets the geometry in there.)

This will be a fantastic asset for people trying to determine view corridors in mountain areas! The model looks pretty ugly in the attached - but the GE image can allow for the capture of the view background which can be merged back into a rendering in a decent rendering engine (ArchiCAD itself, Artlantis R, Piranesi, etc.). Use the 'align view' tool in ArchiCAD or Artlantis to align the photorendering with the Google Earth background.

With video compositing, the Google Earth animation of views around the building could be merged into an animation of a good rendering of the building. 😉 Yeah, the resolution of the GE image isn't great, but this allows the capture of views impossible to get without a helicopter. 😉 And, if one is painting in Piranesi, the captured image can be used as a guide to assure that the skyline painting is accurate.

To learn more about the SketchUp plug-in and download it, go to:
http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=408

To see what it can do (really fun), click on one of the links on the bottom of the page above - these are the kinds of things you can do yourself - the kmz file is what is saved from SU by the plugin. Opening a kmz brings the model into a Google Earth session. When you open the SketchUp World Headquarters link, for example, be sure to check the Terrain box so that the mountains beyond will have relief/form, then navigate.

What next? 😉

Karl

PS You have to love the attitude of the @last guys, too. Here's a snip from the page above.

Support

WARNING -- due to the sheer fun-factor of these two products, your work productivity may decrease significantly with the usage of this beta.
Ours sure has! Make sure you check back here often, as our changes are coming fast and furious! If you see any problems with it, wish it could do something more, have models you'd like to share or just can't contain your enthusiasm, please email us at...

ge-view-a.jpg
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
9 REPLIES 9
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
What next? 😉
the macintosh version?

i wanted to have a play with google earth a few weeks ago, but was disappointed to find it PC only at present. google are "working on it" . . .

watch this space.............

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gotta love Google Earth!
When Im bored at work.....I like to play Tom Clancey and play with my "spy" satelite and check up on the earth. The 3D buldings thing is pretty damn cool too.
Just make sure you have a damn good video card.
stefan
Expert
Also make sure that you live in the States. Europe is partly covered, but with much less detail...

Look mum, I can see our house from here... well, sort off, ... somewhere along this pixels ...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created the model in archicad 9 and exported to 3ds. When I import into sketchup the scale is off by 3.17. Any suggestion on setting units during import and export.
stefan
Expert
Will wrote:
I have created the model in archicad 9 and exported to 3ds. When I import into sketchup the scale is off by 3.17. Any suggestion on setting units during import and export.
When I make a model in ArchiCAD, I export the 3ds-file using "1000mm" as units (but you can choose whatever seems logical to you).
When importing this model in SketchUp, you have to take a look at the options. There I set it to "meters". Voila. The model is up to scale.
Don't forget to enable merge coplanar faces, to hide most triangulation edges.
And when selecting the imported model (it becomes a component), you can set smoothing too and all curved ArchiCAD surfaces look fine.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
the macintosh version?
MAC version still seems some time off .. we have been using community walkan overlay for GOOGLE MAPS by jared cosulich that allows you to export kml google earth files from a MAC.

We've also wound up the office PC and been working on importing some 3D models into GE. we've been using freeware called PETRICHOR sourced from the google earth forum

works OK by importing a 3DS file directly exported from AC .. still working on placement accuracy .. but seems to handle large files OK
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
the macintosh version?

~/archiben
Finally .. Here's a link to a leaked copy of the GOOGLEEARTH/MAC beta. We've been runnin it with no drama's .. although needs OSX TIGER and heaps of processor speed .. also some trouble opening 3D buildings from sketchup plugin, even though they work on the PeeCee, turns it into a Zaha Hadid special .. workin on it so will keep in touch .. this thing is the most fantastic waste of time!!!

here's a pic of our scratch up of CHCH, NZ ... AC to SU5 to GE.
Rakela Raul
Participant
Use the 'align view' tool in ArchiCAD or Artlantis to align the photorendering with the Google Earth background.
after model uploaded to GE, my model and background are already matchd (amazing stuff)....... why i cannot get the view location in GE exported to my archicad file/ model and render it with the correct geo position and then just overlay the final render to the GE image background ??

or I just cannot export from GE the GEO location ?? or the GE neeeds to be the yearly $400 dls version......very frustrating that i cannot get the 2 things together without the trial and error usual factor........any ideas, lectures, insults are very much welcome !!

NOW that i understand this thing, All i can say is that. it is much better now, thanks to GE
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Rakela Raul
Participant
take a look at Microsoft's Virtual Earth
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16