BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Brand Spanking New GDL Book

Cadimage Tools scripting wizards have written a big book on GDL - to be published shortly.

http://blog.cadimagetools.com/
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
106 REPLIES 106
Erika Epstein
Booster
Yes, addendii would be valuable. I find myself scrambling looking through other GDL sources for definitions, equations, lists of variables e.g. full list of status codes.
What is the character '%'. I can't remember what section it was in, but I didn't see a definition (under my nose?).

Andrew, more examples are always welcome. Looking at some of the archicad objects the scripts are sometimes such a jumble with changes over time or old terminology that they are not always as helpful....

Always good at embarrassing myself, I made the mistake of loading the downloaded parts in the file that I use for working through your book and found that the subtype 'Playground Equipment' already existed
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much for your comments, Erika and Ferenc. When I wrote the book I realized that I was writing for an audience with varied skill sets and experience, and it was certainly a challenge.

I would be happy to work through some examples together, if that would be helpful. Perhaps it would be best if we got a bunch of suggested topics that might interest people?

I would be keen to avoid publicly posting many excerpts from the book, of course, as we still have some remaining copies to sell!

There are some topics that have not been covered in the GDL Handbook, and of course there will be ongoing changes to the GDL language, so I'm considering the possibility of releasing a (much smaller, perhaps 100 - 150 pages) publication on an annual basis. It could cover any changes to GDL, plus a few extra topics. My thought would be to carry on the page numbering and include a complete index. Would there be any interest in that?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
What is the character '%'. I can't remember what section it was in, but I didn't see a definition (under my nose?).
Sorry Erika, I didn't answer your question! That's a shorthand version of the modulus operator. You can also use 'mod'. I notice that % is not included in the index, my bad.

Normally I don't use the shorthand versions of operators, but I tend to use modulus a lot so have fallen into the habit of using the % symbol.
Erich
Contributor
Andrew,

One subject not covered, perhaps on purpose , that I was hoping to see was scripting for doors and windows. I know of some basic examples available from a few places, and have certainly looked at those as well as the one present in the AC library (bleah!). What I would be interested in hearing more about is scripting more complex door and window behavior. For instance getting reveals correct both in 2D and 3D with composite walls, curved walls, etc.

Right now, having tired of AC door and window problems, I have scripted my own doors which work just fine generally, but trying to get the skins to turn correctly in all conditions is proving difficult. Perhaps this could serve as a more advanced example for some future addendum?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andrew wrote:
Thanks very much for your comments, Erika and Ferenc. When I wrote the book I realized that I was writing for an audience with varied skill sets and experience, and it was certainly a challenge.

I would be happy to work through some examples together, if that would be helpful. Perhaps it would be best if we got a bunch of suggested topics that might interest people?

I would be keen to avoid publicly posting many excerpts from the book, of course, as we still have some remaining copies to sell!

There are some topics that have not been covered in the GDL Handbook, and of course there will be ongoing changes to the GDL language, so I'm considering the possibility of releasing a (much smaller, perhaps 100 - 150 pages) publication on an annual basis. It could cover any changes to GDL, plus a few extra topics. My thought would be to carry on the page numbering and include a complete index. Would there be any interest in that?
I think that is a good idea, although I would recommend the the VOL1/Pxx strategy in the unified index, and restart the the page numbers in Vol2, Vol3, etc.

I think it's good to make a note not to publish code from the book (copyright respect), and maybe a "members area" / subscription could work for the discussion of pre-publication code, I don't know.

Maybe suggestions/notes should be better handled by direct e-mail.

Just some thoughts...
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes some sort of members area/forum for discussion around the book would be great.
gpowless
Advocate
Ummmm Dear Moderators.....

Shouldn;t this thread be in the advertisement section and not in the Library Forum?
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gepowless
Not really.
I'm learning a lot from Andrews generous help here.
owen
Newcomer
gpowless wrote:
Ummmm Dear Moderators.....

Shouldn;t this thread be in the advertisement section and not in the Library Forum?
Party pooper

I think the GDL forum is the perfect place for talk about such a great GDL resource (still tossing up getting a copy as i tend not to have hardcopy books with me when i need them). There are plenty of examples of 3rd party products being discussed like this in threads all over the forums and i think it is great Andrew is engaging with customers out in the open here.

For the record i hope the discussion can remain on ACTalk (as much as IP protection will allow) ... these forums are a fantastic resource for users of all experience levels and i think it would be a great disadvantage to everyone if discussions of various topics fragmented off into 3rd party sites (I do understand we can't give away all our knowledge for free however!)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this discussion is OK here.
I do not see Andrew saying "buy my book" in his every post so I think this is the right place for this discussion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!