Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elevation problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me how to make this show right? Why isn't there a line where the chimney meets the roof?

The cornerboards are columns, if that's relevant.
9 REPLIES 9
rocorona
Booster
And are them cut with the roof?
or "SEOed"?

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
And are them cut with the roof?
or "SEOed"?
Neither, actually. The walls and cornerboards extend through the roof.
Anonymous
Not applicable
After trimming to the roof it shows correctly, but if anyone knows another answer I'd be interested in case I run into a situation where I don't want to trim to roof.
Rick Thompson
Expert
There's not. The official word from GS is "automatic intersection in this program only between walls and between beams." I just add a manual line to the elevation. That is easier and faster than trimming or SO. Same issue when a roof intersects a wall, if the roof is drawn to the wall core.. like reality.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
There's not. The official word from GS is "automatic intersection in this program only between walls and between beams." I just add a manual line to the elevation. That is easier and faster than trimming or SO. Same issue when a roof intersects a wall, if the roof is drawn to the wall core.. like reality.
I've noticed it in those cases too. No problem as long as I know I'm solving it the best way available.
rocorona
Booster
There is an option, in the "Special" menu, for showing the intersection lines, when a solid body penetrates into another. Normally this situation is not managed by ArchiCAd (other than the mentioned intersection between walls and beams).

If you do not want to cut the elements to the roof, then you must consider adding a hole in the roof.
Or do a boolean subtraction.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
There is an option, in the "Special" menu, for showing the intersection lines, when a solid body penetrates into another. Normally this situation is not managed by ArchiCAd (other than the mentioned intersection between walls and beams).

If you do not want to cut the elements to the roof, then you must consider adding a hole in the roof.
Or do a boolean subtraction.
Good idea. I usually build my models like they are built in real life and would have done that anyway. Must be off my game this morning.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Wrathchild wrote:
Your virtual model should be built like it will be in real life. OK, some license. But, in the field, the corner boards and wall FINISH will not extend down through the roof. I've not found it a hardship to trim these elements to the roof.

The walls forming the chimney will when they poke above the roof be EXTERNAL walls, whereas the portion of the chimney walls that are below the roof will be INTERNAL walls.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Wrathchild wrote:
Your virtual model should be built like it will be in real life. OK, some license. But, in the field, the corner boards and wall FINISH will not extend down through the roof. I've not found it a hardship to trim these elements to the roof.

The walls forming the chimney will when they poke above the roof be EXTERNAL walls, whereas the portion of the chimney walls that are below the roof will be INTERNAL walls.
You're right, of course. I was mainly referring to the fact I didn't put a hole in the roof from the get go.