Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

AC 6.5 auto gdl

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it at least somewhat true that objects created with auto capture to new object has a easier code to understand using AC 6.5?

Seems like I've seen something mentioned about that before.

And if it is true, how to get a copy of 6.5? I only go back to 8.1
Thought it might be an added insight into some simple object scripts
to play around with.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Ottenstein
Hmmm. I don't remember things being that different then.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
Well, I think it is somehow true. The scripts in 6.5 are considerably shorter, and the syntaxes are simpler. The GDL has evolved, and many commands have now more parameters than in the past.

But, maybe more important, with AC6.5 you will get the old library, with objects a lot simpler that the ones of today. Opening them you can see, experiment and learn.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thank you both for responding.
Roberto
Thanks for the details.

Thought I had seen some content on that at some point in the past.
If you don't mind, is it in fact the line of demarcation, from 6.5 forward?
In other words what version did most of the changes occur?
Is, as I think I've read, even V8.1 which I have, is much more
complicated in auto gdl creation, (which I have never tried gdl auto creation with).

You seem to have the history, do you mind elaborating?
Thanks
rocorona
Booster
I'm been using ArchiCAD from version 4.55, and the Library then was *VERY* poor. So we were in the real need of creating some object.
In my youth I played a lot with old computers and the BASIC programming language, so I was lucky in this, as the GDL is very similar to BASIC.
The Library (number and complexity of objects) and the language itself evolved following some curve path, without "steps" so, for the purpose of learning the language starting at a low level, 6.5 is better than (say) 10. And 5 is better than 6.5 and 6.
But often 6.5 is used as a stop, because it was (if I remember it correctly) the firs version in wich the objects were multiplatform. Starting from then, the same object could be used without changes on both, Windows and Macintosh.
Note that the difference was in the file format, and NOT in the GDL content.
___
For the very old users...
Do you remember? At that time ArchiCAD had B/W "flat" icons, and 16 layers, without name (only a number, like the GDL Fragments). Walls couldn't be trimmed at roofs, but in the settings you could define one or two cuts, for the top edges (L&H of a triangle to cut away).
And the GDL had only "one letter" names for numeric variables (so a maximum of 26 variables!). No text string variables...

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
For the very old users...
Do you remember? At that time ArchiCAD had B/W "flat" icons, and 16 layers, without name (only a number, like the GDL Fragments). Walls couldn't be trimmed at roofs, but in the settings you could define one or two cuts, for the top edges (L&H of a triangle to cut away).
And the GDL had only "one letter" names for numeric variables (so a maximum of 26 variables!). No text string variables...
Man! That's what we can call "The Dark Ages"...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Roberto
That helps settle some questions I was circling around my head.
kinda grounding, (in a good way).

Now on to find 6.5 to add to my collection of gdl study resources.

Thanks Roberto
Hey Graphisoft, how about making a stripped down version of 6.5 (for current licensed users)(for free of course as a goodie) that could be used for gdl beginners to get a simpler idea of how to construct basic objects?
You can get 7.0 as the file converter package.
7.0 GDL is the same as in 6.5 (objects were compatible between those 2 versions)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Piotr

".....file converter package"
Sorry to be so uninformed,but....
Do you mind elaborating just a bit more?
Karl Ottenstein
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/Fileconverter.html
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB