Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

PDF layers

fuzzytnth3
Booster
It would be useful if ArchiCAD had the same capability as AutoCAD to create PDF files that have layers
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
15 REPLIES 15
Karl Ottenstein
Layers in PDF is something I hadn't heard of before. Is there a link to a PDF file that you can post (or post a small file) for me (us) to see?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Layers in PDF is something I hadn't heard of before. Is there a link to a PDF file that you can post (or post a small file) for me (us) to see?
It was extensively covered (and still is) in UpFront eZine by Ralph Grabowski: http://www.upfrontezine.com/welcome.htm

Lots of general CAD info can be found there.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Karl wrote:

Thanks,
Karl
It was introduced with Acrobat 6 Professional checkout this for more info from Adobe...
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/adobepdf.html

Enjoy!
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for the links, guys. Interesting. I can see the use (just in terms of file size reduction) of having redlining be a layer that can be turned on and off for example....
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
How about being able to import PDF files into PlotMaker. I know Graphisoft has heard from the US resellers on this.....yet still no implementation, at least not in the latest PlotMaker.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Added to ArchiCAD Wishlist:
"Ability to create PDF files that have layers"
Miquel Garcia
Participant
Please remember Mac users: I thing that the 'Save as PDF...' function of the print dialog of OSX does not allow layers.
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Miquel wrote:
Please remember Mac users...
Indeed. Mac users are already shortchanged by not having the option to export PDFs that build in navigation links. This is a more useful feature than layers. I mean isn't one of the points of PDF that the work is now published, distilled, not editable?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Geoff wrote:
Miquel wrote:
Please remember Mac users...
Indeed. Mac users are already shortchanged by not having the option to export PDFs that build in navigation links. This is a more useful feature than layers. I mean isn't one of the points of PDF that the work is now published, distilled, not editable?
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about links within the PDF file, in the case of a multi-page PDF? Or do you mean URL links?

Or am I completely missing a difference between ArchiCAD on a PC and AC on a Mac? Can you put URL links in an ArchiCAD drawing on the PC?

I agree with what you say about PDFs not being editable but I could see situations where the receipient wants to reduce the amount of data displayed to only those elements he is interested in.
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL