Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Import files 3D max

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
How do to import files from 3d max. I'm used AchiCAD9.
Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
there is an add-on for importing 3ds files that doesn't get loaded with archiCAD by defualt:

go to your add-on manager (Options>Add-On Manager...) and choose to load a new add-on. when it asks for the location of the add-on, navigate to the 'Goodies' folder within your archiCAD folder/directory. you should see one called 'import 3ds' (or something similar). choose it and click OK.

archiCAD will place that add-on into the 'Extras' menu - Extras>Import 3DS...

you can change the position of this command in your work environment, should you wish. i've put it into my 'File' menu because i believe it makes more sense to have it there with all of the other open/save/inport/publish options . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not have the option to import 3DS files only output. When I go the Extras menu its not in there. When I go to the add-on manager the one at the top called 3D Studio Out is checked. Am I missing something.

I have been trying to get a 3D .dwg file to open as a library part so I can see it in 3d. This file was originally from sketchup and I want to take the sketchup file into archicad to do working drawings. There has to be an easy way to bring in the sketchup file to scale so I can model it in ArchiCAD. What a pain, I am so frustrated.
__archiben
Booster
mikeadams wrote:
I do not have the option to import 3DS files only output. When I go the Extras menu its not in there. When I go to the add-on manager the one at the top called 3D Studio Out is checked. Am I missing something.
yes you are. as i said above, the 3DS in doesn't get loaded by default, so if you want to import '3D studio' files just follow those instructions. (archiCAD 9 only!)
I have been trying to get a 3D .dwg file to open as a library part so I can see it in 3d. This file was originally from sketchup and I want to take the sketchup file into archicad to do working drawings. There has to be an easy way to bring in the sketchup file to scale so I can model it in ArchiCAD. What a pain, I am so frustrated.
you're using 'File>GDL Objects>Open Object...' and then selecting the DWG file right? if there is no 3D content in the resulting 'object' i would suggest either playing with the translator settings or checking the sketchUp! export process. (or, something i discovered recently: use the DWG in/out engine in archiCAD 8.1 - it seems far better than the 'developed' engine in archiCAD 9!)

you could also contact graphisoft with a view to "beta testing" their new sketchUp! inporter add-on. it was announced some time ago, but when i last saw it, it was still in pretty poor shape . . . i haven't bothered since because i don't believe there is any way of translating simple surface information into intelligent BIM information in a way that can cover all users needs.

bottom line: re-model it. it'll be faster and more efficient than trying to get imported surface data working for your documentation process . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
you could also contact graphisoft with a view to "beta testing" their new sketchUp! inporter add-on. it was announced some time ago, but when i last saw it, it was still in pretty poor shape . . . i haven't bothered since because i don't believe there is any way of translating simple surface information into intelligent BIM information in a way that can cover all users needs.
it looks like they've 'already' released it . . . in two days time!

(check the date)
http://www.graphisoft.com/company/press_zone/sketchup.html

follow the link on the page for your free sketchup importer download . . . and the very best to you as well!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply. After some time, I figured out that AC 9 was loading the add-ons from the previous 8.1 package that I had installed still. Got rid of 8.1. Works good now.

Also, looking into that Sketchup add-on, see if that is better.

Thanks a bunch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben, correct me if I'm wrong, but does the 3ds Import plug-in work only with the *.3ds files and not *.max files? Or am I missing something. Greetings
__archiben
Booster
tigr wrote:
Ben, correct me if I'm wrong, but does the 3ds Import plug-in work only with the *.3ds files and not *.max files? Or am I missing something. Greetings
as far as i know - only 3ds files . . .

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t