Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Dwights New Book - questions?

archislave
Enthusiast
Dwight:

Maybe I have missed out on an earlier discussion, but I was hoping Dwight could explain the premise of his upcoming new book. I have been looking at many inspiring architectural renderings on the web and it seems that the best ones are produced using Max and Vray render. I also see the renderings using real bitmaps of vegetation and people. Here are a few questions for Dwight:

1) Why do you just focus on AC's Lightworks engine which does not contain radiosity? Do you think radiosity is not necessary or are you showing ways to approximate it?

2) Do you show how to fine tune textures and bring them in from other sources?

3) Do you cover the placement of real bitmaped vegetation and entourage in the model or photoshop and how to produce the finished composite rendering?

4)Why have you chosen not to include Artlantis and other radiosity renderers in the workflow to get more realism.

5) Would you say that this book supersedes your previous book?

Thanks for commenting! I am trying to get figure out the proper workflow for achieving images like these:
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
11 REPLIES 11
archislave
Enthusiast
An image by Resolution 4 Architecture:
Picture 3.png
Archislave

archislave
Enthusiast
Another by Polsek Architects - I think:
Archislave

Dwight
Newcomer
1) Why do you just focus on AC's Lightworks engine which does not contain radiosity?

The book is aimed at ArchiCAD users employing the LightWorks rendering engine. I may have another book next year concerning Artlantis, and perhaps even yet another one after that concerning Maxwell Render, but am not at liberty to discuss that. Both products aren't quite ready. You'll see why.

Do you think radiosity is not necessary or are you showing ways to approximate it?

I am showing simple ways to make the best possible renderings from LightWorks. ArchiCAD is not the best illustration product. Radiosity in LightWorks may or may not become available as well as the remainder of the wonderful LightWorks capacity shown in other applications.

I believe that radiosity is a wonderful thing. It's just not quick. Many radiosity renderings rely on some artifice that find annoying, even though it is beautiful. The light never dies. Boingyboingyboingy. It's this eternal energy that won't quit. It makes everything look like a photo studio. Fine if you like that sort of thing. (Radiosity Movie Idea : Light of the Living Dead.)

ArchiCAD users need quick simple solutions to design illustration.... and it should be directly linked to the materials and lighting schemes with the program. This book is for designers, not illustrators - go get another career, already. That is what it takes to be good. If you really like computer illustration, give up architecture! Make some real coin! Then you face having no-talent jerks telling you that they "can't use" your rendering and aren't going to pay. Excuse me while I had out to my Resentment Anonymous meeting.

I'm back.

2) Do you show how to fine tune textures and bring them in from other sources?

3) Do you cover the placement of real bitmaped vegetation and entourage in the model or photoshop and how to produce the finished composite rendering?

There's a whole chapter called "Tricks" where we do all this stuff. Bitmaps, schmitmaps, Poser, NPR content, dancing on the head of a pin, Onyx Tree Pro, non-realistic images (thanks to Mabe for the idea), context placement of an ArchiCAD model and culminating with an exercise called "The Most Wonderful Rendering In The Universe (considering the circumstances)!"

4)Why have you chosen not to include Artlantis and other radiosity renderers in the workflow to get more realism.

There's only 200 pages in the book and I'm convinced that this fantastic product will be great value to my readers: you guys. Artlantis, Schmantis!

5) Would you say that this book supersedes your previous book?
Yes, because the technology has changed so much, but the basic principles haven't. It is about 80% dealing with the new technology - rendering - lighting - surfaces - and about 20% addressing photoshop techniques originally shown in the first book, but performed using Adobe Photoshop CS2.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Thanks for commenting! I am trying to get figure out the proper workflow for achieving images like these:

Kid: Quit being a show off - that is fine work. Let me send you some things to help ME!
Dwight Atkinson
archislave
Enthusiast
I should have been more clear that that these are not images that I have produced. They are probably the best I would like to achieve someday!
Archislave

Vitruvius
Contributor
Archislave,

If you're a good architect you're too busy doing your job to be rendering your own projects.

If you're a good renderer then you're too busy doing your job to be mucking about with architectural design.

And in both cases, if you combine the two you only get paid for one or the other. Not for both.

So, yes Lightworks isn't the best rendering programme available but it does provide architectural designers some valuable presentation tools withing the context of the software we're actually using. And, without a huge investment in purchasing and learning new software which we'll never really be proficient in anyway.

Cheers.
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Dwight
Newcomer
spoken like a gentleman and a scholar.
Dwight Atkinson
Rakela Raul
Participant
cameron,
can i ask how much do u pay to produce rendering material for ur brochures, promotional material or web site??
thx
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Vitruvius
Contributor
Renderings are done as a disbursement paid for by the client. We usually do this at no mark-up on the basis we can use the images for our own promotional purposes.

Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur