Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New computer with installed AC9.....CPU usage...65% at idle

Anonymous
Not applicable
New rig specs:
DFI LAN NF4
AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core
2 x 1GB PC4000
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-E

Problem:
Installed AC9 with no problems.
Installed latest QuckTime.
When opening up AC9 after about 25 seconds.....Watching task manager , I notice the CPU usage will spike to 65% and higher and stay there. This is when at idle.
Never seen this before.

Any ideas here?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone??
GS dudes out there?
Paul King
Advisor
Hi - I have roughly similar hardware configuration (opteron 165, running at 2500) ,, but cannot reproduce the ongoing CPU load problem

Is it definitely the ArchiCAD process running at 65%, or just overall CPU load? Is there more than one version running?

Perhaps your machine is so quick that by double clicking you launch two versions concurrently?

Maybe quicktime is trying to update itself? Maybe malware coincidentally installed about the same time is interacting with some shell or service used by ArchiCAD?

Try Spybot + virus scan + registry mechanic sweeps - may pick something up

Good luck
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Antonin wrote:
New rig specs:
DFI LAN NF4
AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core
2 x 1GB PC4000
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-E

Problem:
Installed AC9 with no problems.
Installed latest QuckTime.
When opening up AC9 after about 25 seconds.....Watching task manager , I notice the CPU usage will spike to 65% and higher and stay there. This is when at idle.
Never seen this before.

Any ideas here?
Check the Task Manager again (the CPU Column). Is it ArchiCAD that is using that much of the processor or some other process? See attached image.
By the way, how is it going with the Opteron processor? It is working correctly (except for this)? I thought Opterons are for servers only. You might be the first person I know of who runs ArchiCAD on it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Paul King
Advisor
Hi Laszlo

Speaking for myself, I find opteron is quite good - the 165 version is designed for servers but happens to have the same core as a standard Athlon64 x2 4800, and same 1 meg L2 cache - just set to run slower clock speed for "rock solid" stability. Also fits in standard 939 motherboard.

Of course you can overclock it with a great deal of stability if you so desire too... THis version it is more or less just a standard dual core CPU, but branded for servers, and about half the price of it's faster clocked cousin, and with some mild over clocking, it is actually even faster still.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is good to hear. Thanks for the info.
It is a shame overclocking is not available on notebook computers. I would give it a go to get the most out of my machine.
I know there are now notebooks with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processors. They must be screamers.
My previous desktop machine was an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ running at 1.83 GHz.
I overclocked it to 2.25 GHz, and it was still rock solid, I could not believe it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27