Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO not working for one operator only!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
I'm quiet because I'm happy with AC. HOWEVER, here's a new one: I'm trying to SEO off the tops of my gable end walls with a roof...as you can see from the attached jpeg, one half of the roof works fine, but the other half just doesn't do anything...when I click the "execute" button with that air of finality, it thinks for a sec, and then there is no change. Did I somehow do something to my roof such that it can't act as an operator? Weird weird weird. Bizzarchicad. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!

Picture 3.png
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
... I was more interested in why SEO was chosen instead of Trim to Roof to perform the operation. That's all.
Thanks D.
I no longer use trim to Roof. Even for when I create a Stair Rail cap from a roof to Trim a wall along a stair.

Often projects are changing and I much prefer to Live SEO as opposed to the Trim to Roof.

I have heard of having too many SEO that The File size is larger and the project is slower, but I guesss that is the price I pay. How much more do SEO "cost" in regard to speed, I do not know?
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Jay Garbarino wrote:
I no longer use trim to Roof...Often projects are changing and I much prefer to Live SEO as opposed to the Trim to Roof.
Jay,
I must admit I had never thought of modifying walls using a Roof as the Operator Element in a SEO. What a good idea. So the question then is; what possible advantage would there be in using the Trim to Roof command over SEO for walls (other than file size as mentioned), or is the Trim to Roof command really a dead feature? Or further, as a wish, should Trim to Roof be changed so that it is live as well (similar to SEO), or just eliminated?
Thanks for the explanation.
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
Jay Garbarino wrote:
I no longer use trim to Roof...Often projects are changing and I much prefer to Live SEO as opposed to the Trim to Roof.
Jay,
I must admit I had never thought of modifying walls using a Roof as the Operator Element in a SEO. What a good idea. So the question then is; what possible advantage would there be in using the Trim to Roof command over SEO for walls (other than file size as mentioned), or is the Trim to Roof command really a dead feature? Or further, as a wish, should Trim to Roof be changed so that it is live as well (similar to SEO), or just eliminated?
Thanks for the explanation.
Scott
I also have switched to SEOs rather than trim to roof since they are more versatile and powerful, and I prefer to support only one method as a standard practice.

The Trim to Roof command is a legacy from pre-SEO days and will probably disappear in time. The wish will be for more robust SEOs and better management of the operator relationships.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually use SEO now instead of Trim to Roof, but with TTR you can delete the roof and the trim operation remains, handy sometimes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
I usually use SEO now instead of Trim to Roof, but with TTR you can delete the roof and the trim operation remains, handy sometimes.
Yes, I still resort to it on occasion, but is is becoming very rare. It would be nice to have an option to bind the results of SEOs, but would require much better management options.
Rakela Raul
Participant
Often projects are changing and I much prefer to Live SEO as opposed to the Trim to Roof
there is an option under the wall menu to eliminate the performed trim to roof command and go back to zero....probably i missed the point!!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
Often projects are changing and I much prefer to Live SEO as opposed to the Trim to Roof
there is an option under the wall menu to eliminate the performed trim to roof command and go back to zero....probably i missed the point!!
The live relationships between the walls and roofs eliminate the need to uncut and recut the walls when there is a change.
Rakela Raul
Participant
thanku sir,
no questions about that, having live relathionships is a good thing
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
But that still doesn't answer the question of why some elements won't trim. I've had the exact same issue 1 or 2 days ago. Erased the roof, recreated it, and everything worked fine. Question is what caused it.

One possibility (did not happen for us in our case, but did happen before) if the Target/Operator are switched, then this won't work. In other words, if you subtract the wall from the roof first by mistake, then you won't be able to subtract the roof from the wall, because there'd now be a "hole" in the roof the exact size and shape of the wall. So the first solution is to remove all SEOs from the roof if things don't work right at first.

Now what you do if THAT doesn't solve it, that's what I'd like to know.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Sergio wrote:
But that still doesn't answer the question of why some elements won't trim. I've had the exact same issue 1 or 2 days ago. Erased the roof, recreated it, and everything worked fine. Question is what caused it.
Sergio, when your issue first arose, did you double check that you had used the correct type of subtraction method (subtraction w/ upward extrusion)? If not, that may have been the problem.
S
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.