Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Align Tool - Thank You

fuzzytnth3
Booster
Just wanted to say thank you Graphisoft for finally putting an Align tool into ArchiCAD.

I've been waiting since 1984 for one (AC 3.4). We did briefly have an Align tool which was devolped by some kind soul for free but it only worked with AC 6.5 or 7 if I remember correctly

Any hoo thanks again
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hear! Hear!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, it's very cool. I still haven't quite gotten used to all the flashing lights, and I've only used it on small projects so far, so I suspect I have only just begun to take full advantage of the guidelines. This is a feature that I look forward to integrating into the workflow. But I still haven't given up the control and coordinates palettes, and I not sure that I will any time soon. They still do things that I haven't found substitutes for in the guidelines and tracker.
kevin b
Contributor
Where is there an align tool in 10?

And there has been a free version from orbit solutions for at least 8 and 9.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
kevin b
Contributor
Nevermind

Edit>Align Elements
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Jefferson
Participant
I had used the Orbit Align Tool since version 7, wondering almost in astonishment that GS hadn't implemented one of their own, [How do you draw daily without an align tool?] I regret to say I'm very disappointed in the GS version. It's a multistep process, ala drop-down-choice menus, including separate graphic representations for every alignment, and then it operates like "auto pilot" aligning objects in predefined manor, unless you choose align to line, and then, again, you get more drop-down choices. Compared to the Orbit Tool, it is overly complex and under user defined.

The Orbit Tool had a simple, small graphic interface, COMPLETELY user controlled. If you for instance want to align objects left, you choose center, top left or bottom left points, draw or select a line, boom, done. The palette resides wherever you'd placed it and takes almost no space. Sadly this tool is no longer available, yet........

I have been in contact with Orbit and I am imploring them, as politely as possible to offer this tool again for version 10. For those who never tried it, you really were missing out. For those who used it daily, like myself, it's a rugged change that I hope is only temporary.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
David Pacifico
Booster
Someone should also note that this is one of the Archicad 10 Goodies that can be downloaded from the help menu. At least in the USA version.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
fuzzytnth3
Booster
One thing I still miss and this dates back to the late 80's was Claris CAD which had a very nice Align Tool which also had a "Distribute" facility.

I had a project where I had to draw a record survey of every stone for the facade of a five storey high building. Using the Info pallette I could select one course of stones enter the height of all the stones and then enter the length of each individual stone still using the same Info pallette. Then I located the first and last stone of that course then used the "distribute" command in Align tool to place each stone averaging out the perpend width and finally "Align" the stones to the centre of the first and last stone.

Sad to say trying to do that with ArchiCAD of any flavour it wouldn't be as easy as ClarisCAD
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Jefferson
Participant
Fuzzy -

You might check with Ralph @ Objective..........their align and distribute tool I believe was in the ballpark of what you described. I was so spoiled by the Orbit Tool I never really explored many of the facets of the Objective version.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com