Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

stair maker

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
Everybody happy with stair maker?
We are not...most of our corrupted files have something to do with it, we tried almost all possibilities, never got any acceptable printable technical (1/50) drawing with the tool (ok the simplest one maybe if you like the text it creates...) nor an acceptable "not so detailed" 3d with a concrete slab (nice smooth bottom surface...). We always have to put the 3d in a template layer and finish with an exploded 2d drawing (tons of segmented lines)
I am not even talking about the sections you get, especially with curved railing (even the simplest one)
10 years ago, I discovered a nice tool, assuming the level of the architectural CAD, now, it is a lame duck. Did I miss some future improvement?
My wish? Less automatism and much more flexibility especially for the connection with railing and the shape of the treads (at least the first tread) ...and an acceptable geometry of curved slab bottom and railing
93 REPLIES 93
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Would it be better to create separate stair and railing objects? It would reduce complexity and allow the all the work done creating a complex railing object to be used on ramps, balconies, as fences, etc. Sort of following on Matthew's concept of using components to construct door and window assemblies. As it stands we're left hoping that the railing coded in the stair object will match that of the stand alone rail object.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Geoff wrote:
Would it be better to create separate stair and railing objects? It would reduce complexity and allow the all the work done creating a complex railing object to be used on ramps, balconies, as fences, etc. Sort of following on Matthew's concept of using components to construct door and window assemblies. As it stands we're left hoping that the railing coded in the stair object will match that of the stand alone rail object.
I think stand-alone rails would be best, and the only way to insure continuous and matching designs between stair rails and guardrails. The participation in this poll is very high and the results quite lopsided. I hope this makes it into AC soon.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree about separation. As I said in the beginning of this subject, less automatism, more flexibility, we should be able to build the stairs, not to choose options into a huge library. But of course, some smart links between stair body and railing system, like between wall and roof.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Separation is flexible but means you have to keep track of multiple items.
Maybe an option would be (and I think this could apply to all objects/windows/doors) have a linking option to the handrail while autonomous it is still part of the stair.

Link the handrail ( or a window associated with a door) you then have the control within a single item
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
...Maybe an option would be (and I think this could apply to all objects/windows/doors) have a linking option to the handrail while autonomous it is still part of the stair...
Wow, now this idea I like (maybe it should be part of another wish though). The ability to link different objects together, and while they're together have them act as one. This could work with stairs & handrails, doors/windows & transoms, furniture systems (sink & base, base & top cabinets?, cooktop & base, etc), roofs & gutters, and so on...

Hmmm... just imagine the possibilities (and the headaches in managing this)...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Wow, now this idea I like (maybe it should be part of another wish though). The ability to link different objects together, and while they're together have them act as one. This could work with stairs & handrails, doors/windows & transoms, furniture systems (sink & base, base & top cabinets?, cooktop & base, etc), roofs & gutters, and so on...

Hmmm... just imagine the possibilities (and the headaches in managing this)...
This is pretty much the wish topic I started as "New Door & Windows Features" extended to include all library parts.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1436

Please add your support and comments there. I think this is a BIG one.
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist

Dear Matt and All,

Thank you so much for your contribution to this topic! It is really useful!
Added all the ideas to wish no. 015 Stairmaker.
Keep up this good work!
Many thanks,
Laci
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to contradict Laci:
StairMaker doesn't meet the needs of Austrian/German/European architects at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laci wrote:
Dear Matt and All,

Thank you so much for your contribution to this topic! It is really useful!
Added all the ideas to wish no. 015 Stairmaker.
Keep up this good work!
Many thanks,
Laci
Do you want us to keep ON contribute ( inexhaustible topic, StairMaker) or is that enougt for the first step of the great new tool you are going to implement in 8.2
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You are very optimistic
That is already a very good base you built up here, but if you have more to contribute on this topic, details that have not been touched before, please do so. I'll be listening.
Laci
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE