BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Archicad API Developers Guide

Organon
Contributor

Hello,

I am a Revit user and developer, but now I am trying to learn how to develop add-ons for Archicad. Unfortunately, I am realizing that there is no good source of information compiled on where to start. In Revit we have a Developers Guide which is quite useful, as it is structured in a logical way, starting with introductory concepts, element interaction, code snippets, etc.

Revit API Developers Guide.png

Please tell me that there is something similar for Archicad, as I have found that everything is doubly complicated in it; from using the program to creating add-ons.

Thanks.
Regards,

5 REPLIES 5
poco2013
Mentor

Are you aware that you are looking at the recently improved and updated version of the Developer API Documentation? -- Just joking -- Because laughter eases the pain.

Seriously -- start by reviewing the blogs in the Archicad API developer's site. They give some guidance but are a couple of years out of date. (look at the dates) But the only real way to understand the API is to use the search capabilities of Visual Studio to back reference all of the definitions. This will take a lot of time and patience. Most developers have been with Archicad for 20+ years and already understand  the background. Also there are some bugs and misinformation in the documentation which Graphisoft is very slow to clean up. Best to look at the actual code in VS. But be also aware that Archicad uses a C Library for most of the basic functions which are not traceable in VS and is not documented. Don't believe me?? Just look at the HTML documentation for these low level functions. It is a embarrassment and that's the best that can be said.

However, on the positive side, if you have about five or so  years to "stick with it" or have a "inside" source, it all becomes clear.

IOW:  Good Luck

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

@poco2013

I would have liked to read something more encouraging, but it is what it is... I will begin to investigate further. 👍

Thanks for your time and explanation.

Regards,

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can find an intro of how to get started with Archicad Add-Ons on the Archicad API website:

https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/getting-started-with-archicad-add-ons

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

@Laszlo Nagy  

Thanks. I will check it out. 👍

Regards,

MudratDetector
Enthusiast

I find that a tool like grepWin, when used on the examples folder found at:
C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\API Development Kit 27.3001\Examples

(after the typical install of the API Dev Kit) is also very helpful.

Best of luck,

Chris

Chris Gilmer
Intel i9-12950HX CPU @ 2.30GHz, 16 cores
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
48.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Learn and get certified!