Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG/DXF Font Conversion File?

Thomas Holm
Booster
I usually Import or Merge DWGs, but this time I'd like to Place it as an external drawing. Thus I run into the font issue - I don't like seeing the Autocad TXT font that's too thin on the Mac, so i want to exchange it for Arial Narrow.

Since the placed Drawing is an uneditable entity, i need to do this at translation time. So I read the Help file about the Font Conversion File:

"A default version of this dictionary is installed during ArchiCAD installation. It is country- and platform-dependent but otherwise standard. You may wish to duplicate and alter the default dictionary."

Now please tell me: Where the f is it???
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Thomas I just saw that you are from Sweden, so forget about INT users they may not have any problem with encodings.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I did some work with the translation config files in AC 5 or 6 or something, I don't remember. At that time XML hadn't come into fashion yet, so it was all text files. (In cases like this, I really can't see why you'd have to use XML when text files do fully well!).

In this case, it's not a matter of life and death to me, it's just that I want font mapping when dragging an external drawing instead of having to Open or Merge it to edit.

I still haven't had time to test this thoroughly. I doubt that a text file really becomes an xml-interpretable file by just changing the extension, but it's fully possible that the capability to interprete the text file remains within Archicad. I still regard it as a bug that the program ships with a Font Conversion file that is not selectable within the program because it's format is wrong.

I'd appreciate very much if you could send me a copy of the working Xreadconfig file that you have. I realize I won't be able to use it, but I may be able to understand its format. I'll PM you my email.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thomas wrote:
ejrolon wrote:
Have you tried just changing the extension to XML intead of txt. AFAIK a XML file is just a text file.
At home now, I'll test that tomorrow. I know it's a text file, but like HTML I thought it had to be formatted in some special way to be interpreted as XML.
I've tested it now. Doesn't work. As I thought, changing the extension doesn't make a file .xml format. Gives the attached error dialog.

Now I'm back at square one. Where is the "supplied" font conversion file? Please?