BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Export - Can we do it like pdf?

Otavio Augusto
Certified Trainer

Hello everyone,

We're currently implementing a checklist into our layouts, situated outside the drawing area of the layout.

When exporting a PDF file, only the elements within the drawing area (inside the page boundaries) are included, which is precisely what we aim for. However, in attempts to export a DWG using any of the drawing-saving options in the DWG Translator, elements outside the page boundaries and drawing area are also exported. Is there a method to export a DWG containing solely the drawings within the page layout like in PDF?

Thank you in advance, and I wish everyone a happy new year!

1 REPLY 1
scottjm
Advisor

what translator settings are you using? Are you merging the placed views into a single dwg or keeping them as linked xrefs?

We use the xref method in our office, so once we publish a layout to a pdf, I go to the publishing folder and the collect the xrefs of the placed and only send those out and then delete the ‘container’ dwg which only has the line work that’s placed on the master and line work directly on the sheet. 

We also have a specific layer combination for export dwgs that has the line work for the title block turned off, as we don’t want to risk dwg files with a title block leaving the office for fear of unapproved editing or replication of drawings. So you could put the checklist on a layer that gets hidden at export. It is a manually step to set the correct export layer combo though unfortunately. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
Learn and get certified!