BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Data calculation too difficult !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
We think the bad thing in AC in all releases is the" face" "Quantity, Cost estimate, technical specifications" !
The Data Project Calculation is abstract complicated fuzzy and particularly indigestible !
Here frankly, we have many problems ! Often we wonder why we tire ourselves to build beautiful 3d models , because we think this part of our favorite software, would need serious lifting !
GS should be wary because one day, it could maliciously loose its peace on the market by neglecting this complete side of our work!
First, in documentation, GS develop various ancient concepts ; lists of elements, components, zones, ID management , adjustments recorded in a default folder named "IS_settings", Auto ID increase, nomenclature of openings with fields thicknesses, "pl-fill", "pl_txt_null", "pl _ num_null(df), pl_txt . That's an old world ! In short we find nothing very demonstrative for helping us in our architects practices (also for our professional quantity surveyor ) !
Generally we need a simple cubage, an area, a perimeter or linear of 3D entities to which one needs to affect a simple multiplying coefficient to have the summary cost in different batchs, and that in an ergonomic way. That's all we need ! A simple filter through the materiel would be also enough in many case !
Here it's too difficult to manipulate !
Id user of the wall 012 or 013 in breeze blocks in the layer " walls external" of story X, are sympathetic but if we just want quickly a beautiful list table with the quantity of materiel (the unit in m2, m3 or m has), a code possibly, a designation and a field to put a price and have a total cost by batch to diffuse for constructional works contracts, that's not really easy! Of course we know that we can do it, but we spend too many time and much energy for generate a simple multiplication and a total sum by batch?
As for the possibilities of page-setting, they are ridiculous and noncompetitive for our agencies.

For us, we are far but very very far from what we hope to find for one of the most expensive software for the CAD building in Europe !....
Moreover we notice that no simple and concrete case of Quantity and cost report as a "commonplace house" for example is studied in the handbooks!
We are many users to say that in Europe, and always claim the same things.
For the drawings part, we are very satisfied, and we think it is one of best one CAD system !
Best regards
MAsse
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein
Masse wrote:
Moreover we notice that no simple and concrete case of Quantity and cost report as a "commonplace house" for example is studied in the handbooks!
I agree with all of your observations ... and particularly the one above. It is remarkable that after all of these years with the Calculate functions, that the user guides do not have a proper example.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,
Thank you for your response.
We see that in the world we are not alone to have the same problems.
We are members of a dynamic French forum which gathers many professional users.
The importer of Archicad in France does not listen us.
They are all unanimous and denounce the weakness of the product in " the project Data Calculation" part for bills, quantities, and estimated cost.
The whole of its members shares the opinion of Masse.
But why GS does not answer on this delicate subject which annoys ?
Best Regards
Dim
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
I agree with all of your observations ... and particularly the one above. It is remarkable that after all of these years with the Calculate functions, that the user guides do not have a proper example.

Karl
I concur with both of you. And Karl, will your upcoming book include examples?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Entirely of agreement with you. For the bills of quantities,and and estimated cost, I say to my customers , that goes more quickly "manually" than by computer. I thus stopped this service, which is a pity, because I do not push my work until the end.
Best Regards Nachenza
Karl Ottenstein
It is good to see so many new members from France. Could one of you post a link to the French forum which has been discussing this issue?
Erika wrote:
And Karl, will your upcoming book include examples?
The intent is to have lots of examples. If it ever sees the light of day. Life has been a bit hectic, and so progress has been slow.... Thanks for the plug, Erika. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Karl

The link is here Carnét de doléances in the FC-Cadlink forum.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Karl,

Indeed this small community is very effective and if you speak a little bit French I invite you to often consult it. You will be received well and this forum is very rich and interesting!
We start has to intend to speak about a version 10 but we fear that "Graphisoft" does not do anything to simplify the bill of quantities.We do not know exactly their strategy and they do not communicate much on the subject.
We do not believe any more that that is a priority for them and we fear that it prefers to rather develop and integrate new "gadgets" than to honour their users. That is a pity because we think in the agency that, some where, we are also their forces.
Well, we prefer a constructive attitude which criticizes, also we attach for you two very simple examples. If that can help you. We think in more than this type of document is universal, because we hate to hear that there is several "archicad" in different countries because there are various "kind" of exerting our job. All the architects in the world publish one day for their customers this kind of estimated. You understood that we would like to be able to do that with a minimum of °click°, unfortunately we remake almost all on Excel. If one day a book is published on the subject it will be quite useful, but handling will be they simpler? we are not sour ! We wish you a happy new years
Anonymous
Not applicable
second example
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Karl, and all

Some times ago I wrote that the menu calculation was too difficult.
Many users were incapable to use it correctly because there was nothing in the official documentation. No concrete case was processed.

So I just want to inform you and the community of Archicad users , that you finally go to find your happiness.
Eric Wilk wrote a new book.
To my knowledge there is nowhere else a book which explains seriously and professionally this subject.
I had the luck to read it quickly before its pre-printing and it' s really fantastic !
With many examples, he explains clearly how to calculate quantities and how to simulate costs from Archicad graphics databases for ours buildings.
The English version is not printed yet but pre-orders are opened, because if I understood well, he auto-edits it himself with his own money.
The official distribution of the book is foreseen by November 20th 2006.
I think that the first orders will be the served first ones!
I remind that the author has already known a deep success with his first book which is moreover referenced on the Graphisoft site *.
You can consult the table of contents which will return service to numerous Archicads users of our beloved software.
For those who are interested in the subject, I allow me to communicate you the address of its site :

here
or here

Best regards

*: ref
Learn and get certified!