BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export the IFC component from ArchiCAD to AutoCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found that the IFC model that I have drew in ArchiCAD is not compatible in AutoCAD, where no modification can be done in the model. Is there any way for me to cross use the IFC component in both ArchiCAD and AutoCAD?
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
I didn't know Autocad could read IFC files.
Tom Waltz
Eug wrote:
I found that the IFC model that I have drew in ArchiCAD is not compatible in AutoCAD, where no modification can be done in the model. Is there any way for me to cross use the IFC component in both ArchiCAD and AutoCAD?
AFAIK AutoCAD does not have IFC support, at least not in v2007 (might be different in 2008) and certainly not full (2X2 or 2X3) support even if it might happen to read the file. Which is wierd, of course since Autodesk were one of the founding members of the IFC initiative, and now seem to be against it.

If you want to export a model to edit in AutoCAD, you might have to export it as a 3D dwg file. Only note that it will be a "dumb" model (i.e. no oobject intelligence or recognition of construction elements like doors, walls, windows as data elements but merely 3D solids.), same as it was with the 3ds format before they got rid of the 3ds import function in AutoCAD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guy,
I havn't got chance to use the AutoCAD2008 but I know that it do support the IFC but as you say IFC might not be fully support...

I would imagine is it possible to add-in the VBA in AutoCAD to enable the IFC reading?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
AFAIK AutoCAD does not have IFC support, at least not in v2007 (might be different in 2008) and certainly not full (2X2 or 2X3) support even if it might happen to read the file. Which is wierd, of course since Autodesk were one of the founding members of the IFC initiative, and now seem to be against it.
Both AutoCAD Architecture and Revit support IFC 2x3 -- so Autodesk can hardly be said to be against IFCs! It would be great if all the AEC developers out there got IFC to work seamlessly, but there's only so much we can hope for 😉

As for vanilla AutoCAD and IFC -- it doesn't support it OOTB because AEC BIMmers on the AutoCAD platform ought to be using AutoCAD Architecture anyway. Or thinking about switching to some program that doesn't have display representations 😛
metanoia wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
Both AutoCAD Architecture and Revit support IFC 2x3 -- so Autodesk can hardly be said to be against IFCs! It would be great if all the AEC developers out there got IFC to work seamlessly, but there's only so much we can hope for 😉

As for vanilla AutoCAD and IFC -- it doesn't support it OOTB because AEC BIMmers on the AutoCAD platform ought to be using AutoCAD Architecture anyway. Or thinking about switching to some program that doesn't have display representations 😛

Well, I was referring to Vanilla AutoCAD (as was the original poster, I believe) which most people use anyway.
Learn and get certified!