BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

HP 455CA Designjet printer

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been offered a HP 455CA Designjet printer - is there a way for this to work easily on Mac OSX 10.5.6?? on a new macbook pro??

and does it work well with ac12?
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Wow....that's a 10 yr old plotter now and no longer supported by HP.

After 8 reliable years, mine died back in 2007....broken belt and print head prob. Techies weren't sure about available parts.

It needs a direct-jet box to work with ethernet to a router or to your macbook. No USB port, only a parallel port & a another kind of port- not ADB.

Should still work with the direct box & OS10.5 so long as the drivers from HP or ArchiCAD are OK. I remember it was a sloooow printer in ArchiCAD so I stayed with the 'plot' mode.

OH!....it had limited ram so that needs to be maxed out otherwise it will not print normal size print or plot files generated by AC 12.

Not sure of this either, but I recently saw that HP would be discontinuing the #72 cartridges at some future point. I would check into this since 400's, 450's etc, all used them.

Good Luck!

Mark
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
david:

I have an HP 650C that works with the latest Macs (see my signature). The plotter has the direct-jet box to connect via ethernet, I use PlotFlow (included with ArchiCAD) to generate plt files that are then sent to the plotter. One issue is finding the IP address of the plotter, it is fixed (and pretty much impossible to change with a Mac), but the plotter's manuals should tell you how to get the plotter to plot a sheet with this information. You need the IP address when setting up PlotFlow.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
david wrote:
I have been offered a HP 455CA Designjet printer - is there a way for this to work easily on Mac OSX 10.5.6?? on a new macbook pro??

and does it work well with ac12?
We have a HP 600 DesignJet in our office. It is about 8-9 years old and it is painfully slow. Its output speed is about 5 cm (2 inches) per minute.
I think today's large format printers are way-way faster, even if more expensive.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!