BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing AutoCAD 3D objects in ArchiCAD 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello friends,

I am a new user of ArchiCAD and currently i have installed ArchiCAD 11.0.

My problem is, i can't import AutoCAD 3d objects in ArchiCAD.

Any solutioins and / or suggestions ?

arshakya
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
File -> Libraries -> Open Object

select DWg file.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks ejrolon for your prompt help.

I tried your suggestion too but no luck.

i can open 2D files from Files>Open and selecting any 2D AutoCAD file but 3D is not working.

any further help ?

Anil
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
arshakya:

The command you need to use is Open Object..., not Open... . Your Work Environment will determine where this command is to be found, assuming it is part of your Work Environment, you may have to search a bit, but it is probably under a sub menu under the File menu.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've unfortunately found myself with the same problem. I know this has worked for me before. Currently I'm trying to convert a couple of 3D DWG files I downloaded from Sub-Zero's website. The 2D DWG files will open just fine using File>Open Object, but the 3D comes up empty. I have viewed the file with eDrawings, so I know the file is valid. I did find an article in ArchiCADWiki, which suggested that the file needs to be saved as a 3DS file to import into ArchiCAD. There is also a note that a 3D DWG with solid elements can't be imported to ArchiCAD.
Any ideas? Does it just depend on how the file was saved?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Symm:

This is just to confirm your experience. I tried one of the 3D files from Sub-Zero and also did not get any 3D model. The 3D Script has some commands for ensuring a minimum size and a transformation, but then ends. A 3D Script from another file starts the same way, then has a bunch of Lin_ commands to create the 3D model, so the Sub-Zero is definitely not coming through. Sorry I have nothing to recommend.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you'll find that the problem is that the translator does not support AutoCAD solids..... if they are in the file to be opened you'll get nothing or very little.
Please let me know if this is not the case
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I'm not sure how to check, but I imagine that's the case for these objects. Thanks.
Jacek
Contributor
I have to concur.
Just today tried to open a 3D.dwg AutoCAD 2007 file in ArchiCAD only to find an empty screen. Most embarrassing as I was trying to impress my Microstation friends with ArchiCAD - ended with egg on my face....
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Eduardo Rolon
David wrote:
Symm:

This is just to confirm your experience. I tried one of the 3D files from Sub-Zero and also did not get any 3D model. The 3D Script has some commands for ensuring a minimum size and a transformation, but then ends. A 3D Script from another file starts the same way, then has a bunch of Lin_ commands to create the 3D model, so the Sub-Zero is definitely not coming through. Sorry I have nothing to recommend.

David
FYI, I just opened the file using SketchUp and exported the 3D as 2007 DWG and it was opened by AC without problems. There is a lot of extra "unnecessary" detail in the model, like bolts and plates. Apparently there is something extra in the 3D file incompatible with AC's translator that does not affect SketchUp. Once SU "cleans" it then AC's translator works. According to SU's translator there is an ignored Autocad solid but the model is complete though it is not "standing up".

I know that Autocad's solids were redesigned in R2007 to better compete with sketchup and it is possible that there lies the problem.

…let the conspiracy theories begin…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!