BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Log Walls in Revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I? I've seen some pretty lame 'tutorials' on how to do it, but I'm looking for something more like what ArchiCAD has. Anyone? I would ask at the other forums, but I'm guessing someone here knows the answer.
24 REPLIES 24
Djordje
Ace
sirduncan wrote:
Can I? I've seen some pretty lame 'tutorials' on how to do it, but I'm looking for something more like what ArchiCAD has. Anyone? I would ask at the other forums, but I'm guessing someone here knows the answer.
I know at least two people who should know ...

Scott? Wes?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is funny.
Someone is asking for Revit advice on the Archicad Forum.
Maybe it is because people generally get pretty good advices around here.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
This is funny.
Someone is asking for Revit advice on the Archicad Forum.
Yes - maybe a little odd, but if Revit can't do log walls in a decent manner, than we won't be switching over from ArchiCAD. So there is no reason to register at the other (revit) forums only for a single question. Even through my searching and reading on those forums, I can't find the answer.

And yes - I usually get good responses to my questions posted here.
Dwight
Newcomer
On this forum, all REVIT advice should start:

1: First, install Archicad,

then…
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
sirduncan wrote:
Yes - maybe a little odd, but if Revit can't do log walls in a decent manner, than we won't be switching over from ArchiCAD.
What are the other reasons?

IMHO, not getting an answer - official or not - is a good reason NOT to switch.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Log walls are a snap in Revit. Go into the wall type you want to make out of logs. Go to the tab edit the structure of the wall and add sweeps and reveals to create the wall of your liking. I just did this for a coffee shop that will have half log siding. All of what you do here will be accurately displayed throughout your model including sections. It took me about 5 minutes to create the wall type I mentioned including a search of AUGI on how to do this.

This might be the link that helped me.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=345&page=1&pp=10

Cheers - Chris

Happy BIM modeling regardless of the software you use!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
What are the other reasons?
The company I work for uses ADT with HSB in the production department because it interfaces with their machines in the yard. Despite their best efforts(they say), they can't get ArchiCAD to interface with the machines. So they (the production department) can't switch to ArchiCAD. But ArchiCAD has such a visual appeal, we use it to 'wow' the customer up front - and it does a good job of that.

So - we design it up front in AC - make it pretty - the customer likes it - then production takes over and they have to completely redraw it in ADT/HSB. So - they would like the front end to move to Revit so that we can send them the full 3D model data to save time in their redraw. However - I'm not sure that I can do that either.

First - we decide if it can do Logs - then we decide if I can give ADT the full 3D model so as to skip the redraw process.

cgorgas wrote:
... add sweeps and reveals to create the wall of your liking ...
fyi - Your link didn't work for me.

But what if I decide to make my log wall 14 courses instead of 13 - or 15 1/2? Do I have to 'edit' the wall again? How about switch from an 8" log to a 10"? Completely redo the sweeps? What about doors and windows? If I need to move my door over - do I have to edit the reveals? Do I have to 'hide' a 'regular' wall inside my sweep to put in doors and windows? Somehow - I get the feeling that the 'snap' with log walls that so many revit users talk about is actually well more than a workaround - much worse than the 'workarounds' for which they (revit users in general) constantly condemn ArchiCAD.

Don't get me wrong - if Revit can do what they want (logs and export 3D model to ADT) then I'll be a hero and be forced to switch to Revit - which I'm not too against if it can do what it is touted to be able to do. But I honestly can't see that coming.

Care to prove me wrong? Please do.
Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm not an expert in either. But:
- you have to register for the link to work.
- My sources tell me Revit files are NOT compatible with ADT. You 've got the same conversion issues there as from Archicad. Perhaps someone else can advice you on how to smooth the process.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
- My sources tell me Revit files are NOT compatible with ADT.
So I'm finding. Thanks. Anyone know where I can get a difinitive answer on this issue?
Learn and get certified!