Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit 9 Sneak Peak

Taylor Technologies has a page with info on the next releases of the Revit family:

http://taylor-tech.com/software/getSoftwareByID/16/view.html

Ship date is April 12 or 19 depending on the page you view.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
5 REPLIES 5
Rakela Raul
Participant
http://www.idecad.com/default.asp

another similar soft
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Revit 9 is being received somewhat coolly by the existing Revit user community -- there are not as many breakthrough features in this release is in others, though there may well have been as much work done during this release cycle as in others.

The main thing about the Revit 9 release is that it also heralds the first release of a MEP flavour of Revit -- Revit Systems. So with Revit Building, Revit Structure, and Revit Systems, finally the whole building can be documented in Revit.

We're pushing for better modeling tools for Revit, but in Revit itself -- not in an outside app like Maxonform. The programmers are more than able, but other development needs have gotten in the way. Indeed many of the new features in Revit 9 were likely developed for the needs of Revit Systems.
Rakela Raul
Participant
nothing wrong with bringing no new features....if existing features were perfected or simplified is even better...according to scott, there were no problems migrating projects from 8 to 9..hope same to you.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if I can say that buggy or sorely missing features have really been fixed -- a few major wish items were hit, but some bugs have not been addressed. Occasionally Revit will not export to DWG properly -- hasn't happened to me but some users are missing whole areas of the drawing when they open the file in AutoCAD.

Reviteers have been howling for site tools (curbs, roads) to go along with the truly fantastic terrain modeler Revit has had since R4. And they haven't gotten them yet.

But Revit's greatest problem is that Calatrava can't use it. And given the talent at "the Factory" as we call it, it's a sin that better modeling tools have not been added yet. Even the product managers shake their heads -- but the larger agenda is the issue. So those programmers will have to cover three products rather than one! Will Revit advance at only 1/3 the speed it did previously? Let's hope not. I am glad that Revit is fully interdisciplinary after 6 years of existence.

Upgrading files to new versions isn't usually a problem. How does it go for ArchiCADers?
stefan
Expert
The biggest limitation I witness in ArchiCAD, Revit and ADT is that the real building model and the freeform geometry is not fully integrated:

In ArchiCAD, you can use MaxonForm, but the imported geometry is a single GDL object. When you model an ArchiCAD wall inside MaxonForm, it's not a wall anymore and thus will be missing in wall schedules, will not be able to get openings etc...
ArchiCAD 10 will have better modeling freedom, as shown on
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/ac10/demo

In Revit (correct me if I'm wrong), you can import NURBS geometry and then assign building data to it. This sounds to be closer to BIM then ArchiCAD. But where are the limitations? Wes? Scott?

In ADT, you can use regular AutoCAD geometry and the rather flexible Mass Elements, but they will not behave as walls or floors.

So to me, this is still a proof that they tackle drafting and modeling first and then try to synchronize it with the BIM model.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!